What bullet for a .270

Go get em Dakota 79!!! That .277 classic hunter is one I am going to try when I can get some .497 BC compared to the VLDH at .452 should be worth serious consideration. The published BC is actually higher than the 140 VLDH 1 of them up front and they wont travel.

Good luck and shoot straight let us know how it goes.

Bob

Here is the bear I got.

Attachments

• Randy and his bear.jpg
    Randy and his bear.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 59
Just purchased a Cooper Jackson Hunter in .270 win. Have only shot around 20 rounds thru it...bad weather here lately. So far it likes Nosler 140gr Ballistic Tips 3 shots @ 1/2" first two in same hole...I'm very happy with that. This is my first Cooper, so far so good. Had a .270win years ago, Winchester model 70, it liked Federal 130gr. Ballistic Tips. Every deer I shot dropped in it's tracks...I sold it to my late great uncle and he used it until he passed two years ago. Had to get another .270win...this one is a keeper.

Just purchased a Cooper Jackson Hunter in .270 win. Have only shot around 20 rounds thru it...bad weather here lately. So far it likes Nosler 140gr Ballistic Tips 3 shots @ 1/2" first two in same hole...I'm very happy with that. This is my first Cooper, so far so good. Had a .270win years ago, Winchester model 70, it liked Federal 130gr. Ballistic Tips. Every deer I shot dropped in it's tracks...I sold it to my late great uncle and he used it until he passed two years ago. Had to get another .270win...this one is a keeper.

How did you break it in?

I just followed the Cooper's owners manual. It says every 5 rounds I did it after every 3 shots. Cleaned with copper remover (Montana copper remover), I also waited about 5 minutes between my 3 shot groups. it was about 50 degrees that day. The barrel stayed cool at all times. Cooper says do do this for the first 20 rounds. When I get to shoot again I'll probably clean after every 5 rounds for at least 20-30 more rounds. Patches and a nylon brush only for me.

Go get em Dakota 79!!! That .277 classic hunter is one I am going to try when I can get some .497 BC compared to the VLDH at .452 should be worth serious consideration. The published BC is actually higher than the 140 VLDH 1 of them up front and they wont travel.

Good luck and shoot straight let us know how it goes.

Bob

That's interesting. Correct me if im wrong, and Im just speculating but I wonder if they mixed up the B.C. numbers on their website. Even the picture of the bullets look different.
Example: 1) The 140gr VLD....looks like the classic Hunter
2) The 130gr Classic hunter....looks like the VLD design.
Maybe the numbers got flip-flopped and would explain why the classic Hunter has a higher B.C. But if they didn't , that would be one sweet bullet.

That's interesting. Correct me if im wrong, and Im just speculating but I wonder if they mixed up the B.C. numbers on their website. Even the picture of the bullets look different.
Example: 1) The 140gr VLD....looks like the classic Hunter
2) The 130gr Classic hunter....looks like the VLD design.
Maybe the numbers got flip-flopped and would explain why the classic Hunter has a higher B.C. But if they didn't , that would be one sweet bullet.

I agree Dakota 79 some of the designs are very similar and I have not verified the BC's of any of them. I have personally checked some of the new Berger Hybrid designs and the VLDH in the same caliber and weight and there are differences.

Bullet length and bearing surfaces along with base to ogive measurements are not the same so they will have a different BC.

Someone on the forum maybe Brian has probably verified some of these things.

I think it probably is a really sweet design when used in the proper application.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Dakota I received some of the .277 130gr Classic Hunters today and here's the comparison with the 130VLDH

Here are a few numbers:................ 130VLDH............................. 130 CH

OAL= ------------------------------------- 1.167" ------------------------- 1.203"

Base to O-give-------------------------- .572" --------------------------- .540"

Length of boat tail---------------------- .215" -------------------------- .227"

Bearing Surface ------------------------- .348 --------------------------- .301

Advertised G1 BC's---------------------- .452 --------------------------- .497

All in all I am interested in seeing how the Classic Hunter shoots with the same load I use with the VLDH. With the bearing surface and weight difference I would expect different velocities and pressures. Should be able to a little higher with max with the CH than the VLDH we'll see what that turns into in reality.

The Classic Hunter seems to be more in line with the Berger Hybrid designs.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

I like the Hornady 140gr SSTs. This is what I started with in my old Remington 700 ADL and this is what I continue to use. Have had great success with them from 15yds out to 728yds and they print excellent groups under 1/2 MOA. They also have a decent BC of .495 and I get 3080fps with them out of a short 22" barrel and a dose of 56.0 GRs of
IMR 4831, Federal brass, and a Winchester LR primer.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.