What bullet for 338 rum for deer hunting under 300 yards?

Elk Hunter 338,
I have shot several Sambar deer with a 225g Accubond with a much larger cartridge than a RUM. Mine is the 338-416 Rigby Improved 45°. Shots range from 30-600 with that bullet. Accubonds, even at 3200fps, do not leave huge exit holes in my experience. Berger's on the other hand act like a bomb at those speeds.
The 250g Accubond is also a tremendous performer on Sambar deer.

Cheers.

There isn't a projectile that can be fired out of a 338rum that won't blow deer apart.

What kind of bullets do you shoot from your .270 to kill squirrels?
I fully expected the first whitetail I shot with a 300 gr Berger out of a 338 LM to land on the ground skinned and gutted, and possibly cut and wrapped. Much to my chagrin, it ran farther than the deer my daughter has killed with her 223.

I have never shot a squirrel with my 270, but I did shoot a lot of ground squirrels one summer with 180 gr Sierra SBTs out of a 300 Weatherby. It did better in wind than the 22-250 I had traded for it.

MagnumManiac not sambar but ,,, truck loads of Large bodied whitetails mule deer deer elk bears moose etc. the 338 cal 225 gr accubond for a straight killing bullet is very hard too surpass in my rums and 338 lapua improved
I am still using them in my 338WM, 338-06 and 338-416 Rigby Improved 45°.
Was also using them in my Edge, sold that last year after it gave me fits with pressure, carbon rings and brass not fitting back in the chamber...had to buy a new reamer from Shawn Carlo k with a no turn neck and +P throat to clean up the original chamber. All went well after that, but I had over 200 pieces of brass that would not go back in that chamber...so down the road it went.
I am now hunting with the 265g ABLR in the 338-416 Rigby Improved. Stella performance so far, and any bullet that pops out of the group is never more than 1/2-3/4 inch away, so plenty for minute of deer. Couldn't get them to shoot too well in the 338WM, I think mag length was the limiting factor in that scenario.

Cheers.

I likely wont matter but i have seen where heavy bullets on light skinned/built game don't do what you think. High retention bullets will give minimum expansion and zip through. I would use a bullet that would be likely to expand like a ballistic tip, SST or similar type constructed bullets.

I fully expected the first whitetail I shot with a 300 gr Berger out of a 338 LM to land on the ground skinned and gutted, and possibly cut and wrapped. Much to my chagrin, it ran farther than the deer my daughter has killed with her 223.

I have never shot a squirrel with my 270, but I did shoot a lot of ground squirrels one summer with 180 gr Sierra SBTs out of a 300 Weatherby. It did better in wind than the 22-250 I had traded for it.

If you had a 338 creedmoor, the wrapped meat bags would have been blown into the bed of your truck on impact. I hunted whitetail for probably 15 years with a .300 win mag, and it is just too much. If you don't hit bone, sure, but if you do, you may as well cut them in half and leave that half where it lays. A .338 is a ridiculous thing to shoot a deer with, unless the deer are breeding with the local moose, and you have 1,500lb "doose" running around, or maybe we could call them "meer".

If that's all a fella has, then so be it, but something in the 90-150gr bullet range range is all a man needs to kill any deer. I like eating them, so I don't like blowing quarters off of them, although, I guess it makes them easier to drag when half of the deer is left in the field because it looks like it was hit with an IED.

I had loaded up some sierra game kings 250 gr. For break in for my 33 nosler and ended up having a doe run within 25 yards and shot her right behind front shoulder with a nice exit hole, she ran dead on her feet for 25 yards or so, not one ounce of meat ruined.

I have 260 gr. Hammer hunters to load up for elk/mule deer in Colorado this fall

I have zero issue using a 25-06 on Elk, bullet has to match the game. I have found the 115g Partition punches well above it's weight @ 3226fps on elk in NZ.... but this was not the question asked...
The bigger the cal, the LESS damage the bullet does. My 338-06 does much less blood shot meat than my 264WM/270 Bee/300WM. In fact my 375 Bee does very little damage to the meat using a 260g Accubond @ 2950fps. 375 cal hole in and 375 cal hole out.

Cheers.

I have zero issue using a 25-06 on Elk, bullet has to match the game. I have found the 115g Partition punches well above it's weight @ 3226fps on elk in NZ.... but this was not the question asked...
The bigger the cal, the LESS damage the bullet does. My 338-06 does much less blood shot meat than my 264WM/270 Bee/300WM. In fact my 375 Bee does very little damage to the meat using a 260g Accubond @ 2950fps. 375 cal hole in and 375 cal hole out.

Cheers.
The bigger the bullet, the less damage it does?

I'm not sure how you came upon that idea, but I'm not going to try to change your mind. Hang out with your Wang out my friend..

The bigger the bullet, the less damage it does?

I'm not sure how you came upon that idea, but I'm not going to try to change your mind. Hang out with your Wang out my friend..
You first above statement is fact. You will see less meat damage with a 225 gr accubond out of a 338 ultra mag that you will with a 243 and 100 gr bullet of same make or a 160 gr out of a 7mag! seen it, done it, read the book met the author... your being ridiculous by saying your gonna blow quarters off the deer with a 338! obviously anyone that says that has never shot a deer with any 338 !!!

225 Hdy interlock, 250 sierra, 225/250 nos ab's... You don't have to drive a 338 hard to kill deer well; the primary objective is simply to knock out the clockwork without tearing the quarters up too much.