What bullet for 1:9 twist 22-250??

CB11WYO

Hey fellas...
Buddy of mine is about ready to pull the trigger on a new pre-chambered barrel for his Savage model 16 22-250. Looking like a 1:9 twist is easiest to come by. What bullets you boys using/recommend for said twist??

Long range accuracy is 1st priority, over performance on varmints. Looking for 1000 yard consistency where possible.

Thanks guys.

22-250 and he's shooting 1000 yds in Wyoming. The windage adjustment will be measured in FEET, won't it? No matter what .224 bullet is used. :D

ha ha yeah you got it.

Better than the ZIP-CODES we had to measure in when he was using off-the-shelf 45 gr Win ammo... A Rock Chuck with allergies would blow them babies off course at anything over 200 yards. Brought him a long ways since then lol :)

Having good luck with 53 gr Hornady V-Maxs right now to +700, but with only the factory barrel and twist. He's ready to step it up :D

Try the 75 A-max. a 22=250 pussed hard with a 9 twist may work. I have a 223 1-7 twist and they work great.

Try the 75 A-max. a 22=250 pussed hard with a 9 twist may work. I have a 223 1-7 twist and they work great.

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear... Was checking them out yesterday, they look pretty wicked. I guess the 68 gr BTHP looks like a decent plan B also.

You wouldn't happen to have the actual length on the 75 gr A-Max would ya? Then I could run it through some stability calculations.

If it ain't ordered IMO to 7 or 7.5 he will be happier at long distance. A 9tw will have issues at weights above 70.

I got a 9tw and wish it was closed to 7.

No experience with a 22-250 but my 1-9 savage in 223 shoots very well with both the 69 and 77gr matchkings with the 75 A-max being a close second.

Just my experience that at 223 velocities a 9 twist was enough for those bullets.

I had a 9 twist that absolutely loved the 70 grain VLDs. They shot very well.

No experience with a 22-250 but my 1-9 savage in 223 shoots very well with both the 69 and 77gr matchkings with the 75 A-max being a close second.

Just my experience that at 223 velocities a 9 twist was enough for those bullets.

Interesting, thank you!

Looking like 75 gr A-Maxs might be hard to find. Finding the slightly lower BC'd 75 gr Hornady BTHP Match all over the place though.

Had toyed with the Berger VLD 70-75 gr offerings also, little more expensive...

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear... Was checking them out yesterday, they look pretty wicked. I guess the 68 gr BTHP looks like a decent plan B also.

You wouldn't happen to have the actual length on the 75 gr A-Max would ya? Then I could run it through some stability calculations.

I loaded all I had a month ago and have not ordered anymore. E-mail or call Hornandy they can tell you if it will work with a 9 twist 22-250 or not.

According to JBM and Litz 1.110 with a tip of .150.

If a 9tw stabilizes a 75gn A-Max it will a BTHP. IMO Tip them and the BC will meet or exceed the A-Max.

Litz's book says 8tw min for best case. 7 better.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.