What bullet for 1-9 1/8" 243 Win?

exabit

Does anyone have experience of long range hunting/shooting with the factory Remington barrels in 243 Win? (I suppose there are lots in here that do). I am waiting for a Rem 700 SPS Varmint 243 Win with the 1-9 1/8" twist and 26" barrel. What hunting bullet would you suggest which should also serve as an allround "long range" bullet and also for hunting?

I will mostly use this rifle for short to medium range (200-600 meters) but I'll shoot it occasionally at 750 meters also. The biggest game animal will be roe deer which weigh about 55 lbs on the hoof, i.e. no need for any super tough bullet here. It would also be very good if the bullet is reasonably "cheap" in order to practice with it. Hence, the Swift Scirocco etc. are out of the question.

I thought I'd start with the Hornady V-Max 87 as this has a decent bc and very good price. It should also open at extended ranges. With a muzzle velocity of about 3300 fps it should also be quite flat shooting.

I'm shooting the 87 vmax out my rifle and the shoot good out to 350. That's as far as I have taken them so far. Burger has an 87 g vld also.
Where did you find load data saying 3300 for the vmax. The highest I have seen is 3200 with IMR4350

105 Amax's work fine in the factory Remington barrels. I shoot them in my .243AI that was rechambered from a .243.

I'm shooting the 87 vmax out my rifle and the shoot good out to 350. That's as far as I have taken them so far. Burger has an 87 g vld also.
Where did you find load data saying 3300 for the vmax. The highest I have seen is 3200 with IMR4350

I got this velocity by extrapolating some load data for 24" barrels. Also, QuickLoad suggests that 3300 fps is possible with a maximum load of Norma MRP which essentially is the same as Re-22. But maybe 3200 fps is more realistic(?) and definietely "enough".

105 Amax's work fine in the factory Remington barrels. I shoot them in my .243AI that was rechambered from a .243.

Are you sure that your barrel has 1-9 1/8" twist? Did you try the A-Max before rechambering? The added velocity of the AI might help to stabilize the bullet, I suppose. I will try the A-Max in my rifle but I am not expecting it to stabilize.

I didn't try it before rechambering but right now I'm only pushing them 3150fps because it shoots 5 under 1/2". A standard .243 will shoot them about that fast. I also have a friend that shoots them in his standard .243. You'll be good to go with the 105's.

I have a 243 Rem VLS 9.125 twist and it shoots the 105 Hybrids very good. Berger recommends 8 twist but the 9.125 did just fine in 29 degree weather. Shot a ladder today, 1/2 moa at 600 with Vihtravouri N165

if you start with 37.5 I-4064 and a 85 sierra hpbt you will get great groups . try varget also for groups. h-4350 will give higher velocity but will have to work for the accuracy you get with the other two. you can then try the varios 87 horn , berger. 88 berger is awesome.

So I am on your wagon now! I Have a Rem sps 243 that will get some shiny new everything over the next few years! I Started this project in hopes of having a low recoil rifle that will project a highly slippery bullet at a fairly fast velocity.

I really am a fan of the 25-06 but it is in the process of turning into a 6.5-06, for the Slicker bullets!

So my new wolf killer/ coyote gun is a 243 sps!

I have started out with the 105 Amax and the first three shots of the break-in process made a 3/4 inch group in the wind! Now I have her shooting around 3000fps 1/2 MOA and I love her!

I will be trying the Sierra 95 SMK soon.

I can fit 5 rounds in the mag of my sps 25-06, and only seem to be able to fit 4 in the new 243? hmm I like 5!

I have a friend with the exact same rifle. He shoots the Berger 105 VLD "hunting" bullet at 3050 fps. The bullet stabilizes well and he has successfully taken game (antelope) out to 800 yards. I have witnessed him shoot whitetails out to 451 yds-a good setup. I would also recommend the Berger 95 VLD bullet which only requires a 1:9 twist. Your rifle should be able to reach ~3100-3150 fps with this bullet and it will provide great ballistics-possibly the best overall blend of performance for a 243-IMHO.

Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.