What brake for a Cheytac?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by adam32, Oct 5, 2018.

1. adam32

adam32 Well-Known Member

A Terminator T5 or a Painkiller? Others?

2. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Call Kirby. If I were putting one on a Cheytac I'd want to have one custom made for the rifle.

3. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

The large Pain Killer makes them comfortable to shoot at the bench or prone. I shot one with some other brake and it was punishing.

Steve

4. Capt RB

Capt RB Well-Known Member

With the Allen Mag's being improved Cheytac's and his painkiller being designed for that volume of gas = no brainer

5. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

My 16.5 pound Snipetac has a muscle brake on it and it does a great job. I was shooting it off a bench w/bags yesterday and letting it free recoil to see if that changed accuracy or poi compared to how hard I usually drive it off the bipod. I could spot my impacts at 500 (closest I shot it). I have fired it without a brake and then back on to see how efficient it is. Let’s just say that a 375 grain bullet @ 3150 will get your attention...it was money well spent.
    If any of the others are more efficient then they must be awesome and worth the extra money.

6. Tikkamike

Tikkamike Well-Known Member

Watch this video. This guy does lots of terminator brake comparisons including against the pain killer. I have a couple terminators, and like them better than anything else I have.

gunaddict and adam32 like this.
  7. cheechin

cheechin Well-Known Member

Using a BAT single shot action (left bolt-right port), Brux barrel and XLR chassis. The brake is the last part to decide on.

8. Elk Hunter 338

Elk Hunter 338 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

terminator T4 end of discussion!! used em all and these work best at the Cheytac volume!

phorwath likes this.
  9. 86alaskan

86alaskan Well-Known Member

Check out the bigger MBM Beast brakes. I'm running the 5 port beast on my 338 RUM and it's very comfortable on the 300gr SMK loads. He also has some comparisons, and the beast compares very nearly to the Terminator, sometimes a bit better. And he's on the forum, IdahoCTD

adam32 and phorwath like this.
  10. 86alaskan

86alaskan Well-Known Member

11. adam32

adam32 Well-Known Member

The T4 instead of the T5?

Elk Hunter 338 likes this.
  12. Elk Hunter 338

I say T4 because it will look the best on barrels from a light Idaho contour up to just short of the dia of brake, then I would step up to the huge T5 which I only put on rigs that are super heavy and oversized! which when they are that big the 35 plus pound weight midigates most of the recoil. I'm an Idaho boy so I have to relate everything to our 16# weight limit and get creative.. my 15# Cheytac runs a T4 as well as many others like this in weight and recoil is very low about like a 30-06 in a medium weight rifle!

13. adam32

adam32 Well-Known Member

This rig will have a 1.1" muzzle diameter and a SuperMag stock so it'll be at least 20 lbs...hoping for close to 30 lbs.

14. Elk Hunter 338

ok so the T5 then with a little taper or just leave it raw!! they look badass