What bottom metal setup for midweight build

livetohunt

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
I'm starting my first full custom rifle build. Doing a Hells Canyon Arms summit carbon barrel, defiance deviant action, an AG composites Visigoth stock, triggertech special, and one of my titanium brakes.

Going with short action .300 WSM, and trying to be 7.5-8 lbs scoped (scope is 21 oz)

Where I get confused is what to do for bottom metal or mag setup. I am fine either way, but it looks like most of the defiance actions are cut for wyatt BDL. Is the BDL the heavier option? Or should I go with DBM and a lightweight mag? I'm just concerned with OAL with this.

Appreciate any info.

BDL's are generally lighter. I wish there were more polymer 3 or 4 round mags to choose from, this would probably bring the weights closer.

I used a Hawkins Precision BDL, but there are a bunch of options at about that same weight.

For reference, most 5 round AICS mags are about the weight of my complete BDL.

I'm starting my first full custom rifle build. Doing a Hells Canyon Arms summit carbon barrel, defiance deviant action, an AG composites Visigoth stock, triggertech special, and one of my titanium brakes.

Going with short action .300 WSM, and trying to be 7.5-8 lbs scoped (scope is 21 oz)

Where I get confused is what to do for bottom metal or mag setup. I am fine either way, but it looks like most of the defiance actions are cut for wyatt BDL. Is the BDL the heavier option? Or should I go with DBM and a lightweight mag? I'm just concerned with OAL with this.

Appreciate any info.

Why not go with a Defiance medium action and seat the bullets out where there should be? 700 DBMs will be heavier than BDL. I would use Hawkins BDL.

Why not go with a Defiance medium action and seat the bullets out where there should be? 700 DBMs will be heavier than BDL. I would use Hawkins BDL.

I was thinking exactly this. My only concern was that they don't seem to ever have these available in the actions that they produce for immediate sale. Which I guess I'm fine waiting 6 months to get the action. It's also $300 for bottom metal if I do this, and unsure what this entails with inletting the stock?

I was thinking exactly this. My only concern was that they don't seem to ever have these available in the actions that they produce for immediate sale. Which I guess I'm fine waiting 6 months to get the action. It's also $300 for bottom metal if I do this, and unsure what this entails with inletting the stock?
I am a Berger guy and the 215 is a killer. If I were doing a 300 WSM I would throat it for 215s at near 3.2". This obviously would not fit in any short action. I would build on a Defiant, Lone Peak, or Tikka.

I'm building the same thing on a Tikka action and going to do exactly what rfurman24 said. same barrel and stock company. Ordered the stock today. Can't wait. What barrel length is your barrel going to be? I can't decide on a 22 or 23in

Umm He had a couple of the blanks for the summit, which will finish at 23.5".

And yes, I'll be shooting the 215's. I did a decent load for my buddies 300 WSM with the 210's, but it was about .02" from not being able to feed them. And I know the berger 215's are even longer, I love them in my 300 win. That 3.2" is the max length for the medium defiance action isn't it?

Guess I should email AG and ask if they inlet for the defiance medium action, I would assume they do though.

Are you meaning the XM action? "intermediate length"

Last edited:
I'm going with the HC summit because of the the 1.170 tennon that will match up with my tikka action. The website gave me 18 to 23in length options. I Like the weight at 2lb 2oz also. Good luck with your build

4 months ago AG wasnt inletting for any of the medium length actions. The guy I spoke to said they were way down the list of inlet programs there were trying to write.
But probably worth a call to confirm.

I went by AG the other day and those guys are awesome! They were transitioning into their new building and still took the time to show us around, answered a bunch of questions, and showed us every stock they had on hand. Awesome group of guys! They have my $$ from here on out.

4 months ago AG wasnt inletting for any of the medium length actions. The guy I spoke to said they were way down the list of inlet programs there were trying to write.
But probably worth a call to confirm.

If I have to inlet it myself its not the end of the world. Lately its easier to find money, rather than time for myself to do any of my own machine work.

Kinda ironic......Mike has a 23" summit barrel in 300wsm he's tgroating for 215s, donor was a Tikka 7mag. Will be using rl26 and hoping for 2850-2900 w/ 200-215gr bullets. Hoping rifles close to 6# and with my March 3-24x42 will be around 8# flat ready to hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.