What Bottom Metal Do I Need...?

Full Curl

Entering the next phase assembling parts for my first build. 270wsm on a Rem 700 short action. I already have the barrel, action, rail, stock, and trigger. I'm going to install a Wyatt's Extended Mag box. What should I be looking for as far as bottom metal/trigger guard? I have the factory rem 700 SA bottom metal but will this work with a Wyatt's Extended Mag box? If not, what do I need to be looking for as far as bottom metal?

What advantage does one brand/model of bottom metal have over another other than possibly weight savings???

Thank you!

If your rifle has a BDL inlet you could run our Oberndorf bottom metal with some minor fitting. You may need to modify the box to accommodate the Wyatt extended box, but that is not uncommon and any gunsmith could do so.

If you have a stock with an M5 inlet you could run our M5 Oberndorf, which is already set up for Wyatt extended boxes. It also has a little more room for short mag cases.

Hope that helps, let us know if you need anything else.

If your rifle has a BDL inlet you could run our Oberndorf bottom metal with some minor fitting. You may need to modify the box to accommodate the Wyatt extended box, but that is not uncommon and any gunsmith could do so.

If you have a stock with an M5 inlet you could run our M5 Oberndorf, which is already set up for Wyatt extended boxes. It also has a little more room for short mag cases.

Hope that helps, let us know if you need anything else.

Thank you. Stock is the HS Precision Pro-Series 2000 Sporter Rem SA. Not sure if that has the M5 inlet or not? Action is a trued rem 700 SA. MBE-4 Wyatt's box. I do have the factory BDL bottom metal for the action.

The only difference between the standard Oberndorf bottom metal and the M5 Oberndorf is that the M5 is already setup for Wyatt extended boxes and has a little more room correct?

Just because I'm learning here with my first build that I'm acquiring all the parts for... what advantage would the Hawkins bottom metal have over my factory bm?

Thanks for the replies!!

The HS Precision will have a standard Remington 700 BDL inlet. You can open those up to M5, but you'll likely need someone with a mill to do that for you.

The M5 Oberndorf is set up right out of the box for Wyatt Extended Boxes. Oberndorf is for standard boxes.

Some of the benefits are: not popping open under recoil, set up to run custom mag boxes, fit and finish, and customer service availability should you need it.

I talked to my smith last night and he recommended the standard Oberndorf. He does not have a CNC machine to open up the stock for the M5. He did say that the factory bm could be used with a Wyatt's MBE-4 but I would lose one round capacity in the magazine. He said the standard Oberndorf needs to be slightly altered as well which can be done without a mill and I won't lose the magazine capacity.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.