What blew up my gun?

I have seen this in the past as well. Could be possible that you did not charge one case, skipped over it, then primed it. Not sure what's your set up. Shot it, bullet logged in barrel, shot another.....boom.

I've been loading single stage since 1971. I throw a powder charge within a grain or two of my target weight then trickle in the rest. I immediately seat the bullet in my press. Mistakes over the years have forced me into what, for me, are fool proof steps. It takes a while longer, but..... the reason I reload is to get better ammo than I can buy.

I load rifle single stage, and load 50 cases at a time. I do use a Lee 4 hole turret press, so I don't have to change dies, just the turret. Then I inspect each case for charge and do it again. All charges are weighed on both electronic scales and balance scales which are within 0.1 grains of each other. I verify with RCBS balance scales.
After I charge the casings, I check each casing again for charge as I place the casing in the press for bullet seating. I also measure each case for length before I prime or charge them. I will inspect for charge at least three times before I seat a bullet. I also try to use the oldest powders first, rotating in newer powder after expending the older.

Haven't sent rifle in yet. Contacted Savage they gave address to send to U.S but I'm in Canada. I can imagine hassle of sending this to U.S. I now have an address for Canada but would like to call first to see what they say.
I'm still thinking metal fatigue / cracks lug area. Just looking at how it peeled open at that location.
I also load rifle single stage, and load 50 cases at a time. I am always very careful but as someone said if you haven't made a mistake yet you will.

I don't think that was metal fatigue. It blew out from overpressure and ruptured the action housing. That suggests either overpressure from too large a charge, an obstruction, or the use of a really fast powder that created way too much pressure. I'll bet the casing was pretty much frozen into the chamber, too. Don't tell them you were using reloads, either. It probably voids the warranty.

I don't think that was metal fatigue. It blew out from overpressure and ruptured the action housing. That suggests either overpressure from too large a charge, an obstruction, or the use of a really fast powder that created way too much pressure. I'll bet the casing was pretty much frozen into the chamber, too. Don't tell them you were using reloads, either. It probably voids the warranty.
double detonation will build up just as much or more pressure unless it was pistol power you can't get that much rifle powder in a case
okay there has been enough comments on this bad mistake he is lucky to be alive (someone should start a new thread on a new subject you can only beat a dead horse so long)

I was shocked when I viewed this post! I have seen blown barrels, but never nothing like this, especially a 22-250!

I cannot add any useful information, I just worried now as I have many rounds, various rifles that I reloaded about 3 years ago. My 338 Edge is the one I am most worried about!

I Single Stage reload, Redding Setup, triple check each round, and weigh them!

Glad you didn't get hurt and here to ask about it!