What blew up my gun?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by normyt, Sep 9, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. sw282

sw282 Well-Known Member

LH.. Was that the Wildey pistol you are speaking of? The one Charles Bronson used in one of his ''Death Wish'' movies??

2. cohunt

cohunt Well-Known Member

he said equivalent of 5x the powder

3. antelopedundee

antelopedundee Well-Known Member

He said the equivalent of 5 times the max load. A .357 mag with a 125 grain JHP bullet can tolerate about 20 grains of WW 296 easily. 20 grains of Bullseye might not be so tolerable. it was often said that double charges of Bullseye would demolish most revolvers.

4. Coyote_Hunter

Coyote_Hunter Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking as well. I load 35g Varget with 55g bullets in my .22-250 and it's not a max load.

Question for the OP - do you trim your cases? If so, how far back do you trim them and is it possible you missed one?

5. normyt

normyt Active Member

It's always possible I missed one.

I pulled all remaining reloads from this batch (approx. 20)
    Powder looked like powder in 1lb bottle (not powdered or anything)
    Case length were all between 1.88" & 1.91" ( in spec.)
    All cases had 34.6gn of Varget except 5had 35gn, 3 had 36gn & 1 had 37gn
    I went back to Hornady Load Book and 34.6gn is absolute Max for 55Gn V-Max bullet
    The loads I've been making are for 50Gn V-Max bullet. (which I used previously)
    Max amount of Varget I could get in a 22-250 case is 39gn

6. LDHunter

LDHunter Well-Known Member

I had a friend put a 270 Winchester round in his 270WSM Ruger M77 and when it went off it destroyed the action. Noone hurt...

7. cohunt

cohunt Well-Known Member

Huh?

8. MNbogboy

MNbogboy Well-Known Member

Somebody gave you mis-information.
    Impossible to get it in without a 2 pound hammer....or did it go off hammering it in?

LoneTraveler, sw282 and Barrelnut like this.
  9. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

MNbogboy, xsn10s and TwoMore like this.
  10. turkeyfever

turkeyfever Well-Known Member

I know how I reload and the steps that I go thru to do it. They don't vary too much. I personally don't believe that over charged chases were the problem. I think that cleaning media could have been stuck in the case to cause the case to fail from over pressure. Just my 2 cents worth.

11. TwoMore

TwoMore Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

270 win is .284 longer at the shoulder than 270 wsm, the wsm is almost .100 bigger in diameter at the shoulder so it wouldnt even start to chamber

MNbogboy likes this.
  12. xsn10s

xsn10s Well-Known Member

MNbogboy likes this.
  13. DSheetz

DSheetz Well-Known Member

All we can really do is speculate . reassembly and testing so as to reenact , without the explosion , the event are probably the best way to get the best answer . I've seen this done with large high speed fans . They do it with aircraft as well as other things .

MNbogboy likes this.
  14. del2les

del2les Well-Known Member

Just a couple of possibles. Since your powder wts aren't consistent, were you loading with a powder measure instead of scale? If so, it is possible you had a "bridge" on one load that then broke free and overcharged the next load. OR, and I have seen this a few times over the decades, a heavier wt bullet found its way into your box of 55's. These mistakes can come from the factory or a lose bullet was mistakenly placed into the wrong box. I.e. a 60gr Hornady placed into a 55gr box. Just last year, I found a 147gr 9mm in a factory box of 124gr Gold Dot bullets. In past, I have found 180gr in a 165gr 30 cal. box, a 158gr in a 125gr XTP box, etc.

Badfinger and MNbogboy like this.