What blew up my gun?

There was a post awhile back that talked about bullet weld . I don't recall what it's title was . some thought that coated bullets didn't weld as much or at all some thought that not polishing the inside of case neck helped prevent it others think you seat your bullet longer then push it back to depth before shooting if you are going to store the ammo any length of time , some don't load up much ammo in advance and proper storage of ammo was also mentioned . Store your ammo in a low humidity , even temp non vibrating area . Don't carry it around in your truck all year long ect. .

ME TOO!!!
This is my first post so I'm not quite sure what goes where. A few years I took an old 222 out. I hadn't fired it in maybe 30 years. Reloads were about 30 years old, too. All was well and I had some good grouping. After about 15 rounds a shell wouldn't go into the chamber. seems when I touched it off and the neck broke off the shell casing. The bullet had traveled down the barrel but the neck of the shell was in the chamber. Could a piece of shell casing have gotten lodged in this fellows barrel and caused this damage. I was lucky, the neck never entered the barrel. I packed up, came home and pulled the bullets on the rest of that lot of shells, had a few more necks break off as I pulled the bullets.

This is my first post so I'm not quite sure what goes where. A few years I took an old 222 out. I hadn't fired it in maybe 30 years. Reloads were about 30 years old, too. All was well and I had some good grouping. After about 15 rounds a shell wouldn't go into the chamber. seems when I touched it off and the neck broke off the shell casing. The bullet had traveled down the barrel but the neck of the shell was in the chamber. Could a piece of shell casing have gotten lodged in this fellows barrel and caused this damage. I was lucky, the neck never entered the barrel. I packed up, came home and pulled the bullets on the rest of that lot of shells, had a few more necks break off as I pulled the bullets.
There is a possibility.

was the weather hot? That will increase your pressures.
ESPECIALLY if it's been laying in the sun! Here in Arizona whereI live, we have to be extra careful of that. Had a friend that was shooting a .300 Win. Short Mag. He couldn't figure out why his grouping was all over the place. When I pointed out to him that his ammo was laying in the sun (it was 104 F that day) he tried picking it up and it burnt his fingers! That's some serious heat issues!

ESPECIALLY if it's been laying in the sun! Here in Arizona whereI live, we have to be extra careful of that. Had a friend that was shooting a .300 Win. Short Mag. He couldn't figure out why his grouping was all over the place. When I pointed out to him that his ammo was laying in the sun (it was 104 F that day) he tried picking it up and it burnt his fingers! That's some serious heat issues!

Another reason why factory loads and reloading data are conservative.

Went shooting yesterday, shot about 5 shots and on 6th shot this happened.
Reloads from a couple years ago , store in ammo box in a shooting bag.
Rifle is a 22-250 Savage Model 10
Bullets are 55Gn Hornady V-Max
35GN of Varget Powder
Been doing this recipe for approx. 4 years, have never had problem.
No signs of over pressure until this incident, happily no injuries/casualties (except gun,LOL)
Any Ideas out there

View attachment 148591 View attachment 148592
My guess would be a reduced load. The primer goes of and starts the bullet down the barrel, but the powder delays in igniting. When it does, the bullet has stopped and is now an obstruction in the barrel. The powder explodes and causes EXTREME pressures! Almost did that with my .223 years ago playing with reduced loads. Luckily it only destroyed the brass and blew gas out the vent hole.

i have not read through this entire thread, but have you pulled the bullets and checked the powder on the remaining handloads? I have seen varied failures from others, and while not always the case, we do find loads that were made with the wrong powders.

It could be a number of things; anywhere from an accidential double load to a squib shot leaving the bullet in the barrel which results in the following shot no place to go. My money would be on a squib load.

Just doesn't smell like a over pressure powder load to me. Something more going on. I would call savage send them the pics and then the gun if they want it. Let them do some forensics. I'm sure they are like farmers seen a thing or two. Make them tell you it wasn't gun failure and what they think it was. Been 1st thing I would of done.

Just doesn't smell like a over pressure powder load to me. Something more going on. I would call savage send them the pics and then the gun if they want it. Let them do some forensics. I'm sure they are like farmers seen a thing or two. Make them tell you it wasn't gun failure and what they think it was. Been 1st thing I would of done.

One thing I've never heard is what the gunmakers have done to deliberately blow up rifles.

One thing I've never heard is what the gunmakers have done to deliberately blow up rifles.
No where did I say they did anything deliberately, but manufacturing mistakes do happed. And they have the means to determine what would of caused it much better than us on a forum. I doubt it was the gun, but they are the best source to find out what happened and heck they might offer up a new one.

No where did I say they did anything deliberately, but manufacturing mistakes do happed. And they have the means to determine what would of caused it much better than us on a forum. I doubt it was the gun, but they are the best source to find out what happened and heck they might offer up a new one.

Understood, but car makers deliberately crash cars to see what happens in real world accidents, so I expect somewhere that gunmakers maybe have tried similar, tho I've never seen where a gun writer ever did an article about it. I can't claim to have read them all tho.