What binoculars and power are you all using for hunting and scouting in open country

I use the razor HD's 10x42 and they're pretty good but after hours behind them I find myself wishing for better.

How much do you glass? If you glass for 5 minutes then move on 1k bino's will work ok. If you sit and glass for an hour you need top end. I use 15x swaros best for open country. Issue with 15x is tripod are a must and if you go cheaper quality glass it is more noticeable with increase in power.

10x work great and the razor lines is good for the price. I would get the 12x razors if you go vortex.

If your going to spend 1k, go a little more and you can find some used lieca10x42 or swaros for 1200-1600. It's worth the extra money. I've been there and went the cheaper route only to buy the more expensive later. Just bite the bullet once

I use vortex viper 15x50s or leupold 10x40s depending on situation. With a lot of static stand hunting in Texas and high magnification rifle scopes I don't use them a lot.

I realize that these binoculars are not in the price line, you are stating, but. I sit and glass for hours, and use a tripod to do that work. I now use two sets of binoculars. 10 x 50 Swarovski and 15 x 50 set. I would say on the one side of the binoculars be ? x 50 glass. I find more game and do less walking. I don't scare the game off either. In Nev., I was teaching my oldest son to use his field glasses. We had four herds of Muley bedded down and looking them over up to 1000yds away. Another hunter showed up on the opposite side of the small valley. He looked for about 10 minutes, and walked off. He later stop by our camp and talked to one of our group, and stated about the lack of deer in the area. He missed 5 groups of deer bedded down for a total of about 100 deer. So you have to look near and far. The better the glass the farther you can see. We almost missed the fifth group that was below us. The way I train him and my youngest son was have them look along side of me. When I spotted a deer or group I would say sometime about it. They would look and look. Coming back at me saying there isn't any deer. I would cut down the area they needed to look at, and wait. If needed close the area to look even smaller area. If it was herd for deer,I kind of did the same thing. Then I would make them tell me how many deer there, and how many bucks were there too. They learn and they got there count correct. The hardest thing is to make yourself to stay in one spot and glass. You be surprised and what you will see.

I have leica hd-b 10x42. After years of using a pair of $300 Brunton binos I decided it was time. Its nice having the rangefinding capabilities in them also. I got a good deal on them. A little over 2k. I can't even look through less quality glass now though. Nikon fieldscope ed is basically useless now. I also have canon 15x50 image stabilizer binos. Haven't used them since I got the leica. I'm sure there are better but these work for me and my hunting style.

It's better to send more money on your optics that you do your rifle and riflescope. You use your riflescope for less that one minute a day... you use your binoculars, rangefinder and/or spotting scope for hours each day of your hunt. The Leica Trinovid is a great glass for under $1,000. My open country optics consist of a Trivovid 10x42 and Leica Geovid R 15x56 on a tripod. The 10's are around my neck and the 15's/tripod are in my day pack. Find a high spot, set up, get comfortable and you will be amaxzed ah that critters you can find. DD62

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.