What Binocular Power To See Bullet Hits?

iSnipe

I'd love to get a spotting scope, but my only use for it would be at the range, so I'm thinking of getting some higher powered binoculars so I can use both at the range and in the field.

What binocular power (?x) do you think I need to see where my bullets are hitting at the range?

I should be asking how far will I be able to see with certain power binoculars.

I see 16x and 20x are common in binoculars. Do you think these powers are adequate to see bullet impacts? I usually shoot at white paper with black dots.

How far out do you think I'll be able to see with these power binos?

Thanks,

iSnipe

I think you are better off to get a variable rifle scope with higher power if you can not see the holes in the paper with the one you have now. Look through one that is about 20 power to see it that works for you. Don't know what kind of shooting you do??? If it is just target shooting get a 8-32x50mm or higher. If you use it for hunting the 8 power may be to high.

If you get binocs and plan to use them a lot don't get them over 8 power unless you get a zoom type. If you look through 10 plus power binocs for long time they makes you crazy.

Just MHO,

joseph

Bad idea. I don't think it can be done at distances beyond 300 yds and caliber below 338.

Where I live 99 time out of a 100 the mirage is so bad that the target is never sharp and holes can't be seen. With my eyes, that is.

Spotting scope is a better choice but the the cost start mounting considerably.

Thanks for the replies guys!

======================

Surely someone here must have looked through their spotting scope set on 20x to see bullet hits on targets before? !!

iSnipe

With binos, you can hold 10x still, but when you get to 12x or higher, you can't hold them steady. They would need to be mounted on a tripod.

In terms of how far can one spot shots....I shoot the shoot-n-see targets and I can spot .223 holes from 300 yards on a day where the mirage is not bad. That is done with a cheap 18-36x Tasco spotting scope.

Even the guys with the high-dollar spotting scopes can't spot shots on paper from much farther than 400.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts