What barrel

We expect to see 1's at 1k for tuning the br rigs with 3 shot groups. Obviously in good conditions. 2s and 3s for 5 shots would be ok. The sporters can shoot really well if built and tuned right. Its a little trickier managing barrel heat. I really like the 6 creedmoor case, they shoot excellent. One of our local BR shooters has shot one at our 1k matches, and its the reason I decided to try one myself a couple years ago, I was impressed with what that case did in a BR rifle. Still not my first choice for BR, but my favorite 6mm in a hunting rifle for sure. :)

Last edited:
My comment was based on my gunsmiths recommendation when I wanted to install a long barrel on my 700. I have a 28" Remington varmint barrel contour on mine and works fine. But a heavy varmint contour at 30", you can do but you should bed the first couple of inches by the recoil lug. It will work fine but expect to redo the bedding when you change the barrel. I used a barrel block in a rifle and free floated the action, wasn't a fan of that either but it works.
Last thing you can do is get an action with a longer tenon.

My comment was based on my gunsmiths recommendation when I wanted to install a long barrel on my 700. I have a 28" Remington varmint barrel contour on mine and works fine. But a heavy varmint contour at 30", you can do but you should bed the first couple of inches by the recoil lug. It will work fine but expect to redo the bedding when you change the barrel. I used a barrel block in a rifle and free floated the action, wasn't a fan of that either but it works.
Last thing you can do is get an action with a longer tenon.
Thank you, I should have said plans were to bed the action and was thinking of pillar bedding to free-float.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.