What barrel

johnthemc

I plan to build a 6mm cm or dasher and leaning toward the cm. I have a model 700 sa almost new and was planning a Brux heavy target or heavy Varmint, 30" 7.5 twist. Don't know what bullet weight or distance! I know this will be the first questions but this is all an experiment. I am a Pennsylvania white tail swamp hunter and long range is all new but at 59 I am hoping I can ease into a new hobby in 6 years and have this ready to go!
Please give advise on the barrel, am I on the right track? Advice is appreciated and requested! Thanks

It's hard to go wrong with any of the top barrel makers. I've used Bartlein, Kreiger, Shilen, and McGowen and if you blinded the observer you couldn't tell the difference. I have an affinity to Savage/Remage prefits.

IMHO if you plan on carrying that rifle at all you're taking on a LOT of barrel. Very heavy contour, very long. If that's what you want go for it, but it's not going to be a very carryable rifle. I don't think you need 30". I'm getting 3200+ fps out of my 243AI in a 24" heavy sporter barrel and I have a very carryable gun. The only hunting rifle I own with a 30" barrel is a 338 Edge because when you shoot a gun out to 2000 yards (targets, hunting is half that) the modest fps increase actually makes a difference. I can't imagine a scenario where it does in hunting with a 6mm.

Don't discount the 243 AI. 7.5" will be perfect for the heavies.
As far as the caliber I have narrowed down to the two I listed but not sure of the contour and twist or even the make! That's where I can use guidance.
It's hard to go wrong with any of the top barrel makers. I've used Bartlein, Kreiger, Shilen, and McGowen and if you blinded the observer you couldn't tell the difference. I have an affinity to Savage/Remage prefits.

IMHO if you plan on carrying that rifle at all you're taking on a LOT of barrel. Very heavy contour, very long. If that's what you want go for it, but it's not going to be a very carryable rifle. I don't think you need 30". I'm getting 3200+ fps out of my 243AI in a 24" heavy sporter barrel and I have a very carryable gun. The only hunting rifle I own with a 30" barrel is a 338 Edge because when you shoot a gun out to 2000 yards (targets, hunting is half that) the modest fps increase actually makes a difference. I can't imagine a scenario where it does in hunting with a 6mm.
i am sorry I meant to say in the beginning I don't plan to hunt with, just shoot this gun

Can't go wrong with any of the big names. I just put a #4 26 Rock Creek on my 243 AI and love it. Ask your smith who he prefers, and you'll likely both be very happy with the outcome. 6 CM would be my choice of the 2 cartridges listed. Not sure if 30 inches of barrel would benefit the Dasher as its a bit limited on capacity, but I have no personal experience. 6 CM ammo and brass is becoming more and more available. Let us know how it all comes together for you and enjoy!

My vote would be for the Dasher. Are you going to shoot competitions like F Class? Friend of mine shoots a 30" Dasher for F class with 105 Berger hybrids at just over 3000 FPS. I don't shoot competitions and still went with a Dasher on my last build. 22" benchmark, EH1, trued 700 SA, MBM brake, trigger tech. Very fun gun to shoot and hunt with. ZERO recoil and with the 22" barrel I still get 2910 FPS with a 103 eldx. Only takes 32 gr of varget to get me there.

For barrel make, as previously said, any of the top makers will make you happy. As to caliber, I just built a 6mm Norma Dasher with a PVA barrel on a Savage target action. Besides being super accurate, barrel life is excellent, and as important to me, recoil is soft. At 65, I still shoot my boomer (300 RUM,210gr, 3050fps) but it is a lot more fun to shoot 40 rounds in comp and not anticipate recoil. I like the cartridge so much, I bought another Savage target action, Krieger bbl, and a custom reamer from PT&G with fb at .122 for the Berger 105gr and 109gr hybrids......weight is heavy, but it's NOT a hunting rifle....rsbhunter

Bartlein has carbon wrapped barrels now that George Gardner has commented favorably on. They might be worth a look but I think Bartlein only has a couple 6mm in stock currrently.

Two months wait or longer almost everywhere it seems. I'd go with an off the shelf caliber...CM, .243 or something like that. I'd go shorter on the barrel too. Varmint weight or anything less than light palma. I'd shoot for a muzzle finish diameter of .725 or less.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.