What barrel

You don't need 30" for a Dasher; it only adds about 8 fps per inch above 24" or so. Accurate shooter did a test by cutting an inch and testing repeatedly.
I don't shoot a CM but the bart 103 Hammers do stabilize in my 9 twist, but to be safe, go with an 8 twist and you can shoot all the heavies.
i like a Palma medium for a 6.5, but you can use a Lite Palma cut back to 27" and it will really balance well.
Just my 2 cents...

I have had Bartlien, lilia, and now a benchmark. All have been awesome. I chose benchmark due to the fact they are made in WA state and that is where I am from. I would use the other 2 brands again in a heartbeat

I plan to build a 6mm cm or dasher and leaning toward the cm. I have a model 700 sa almost new and was planning a Brux heavy target or heavy Varmint, 30" 7.5 twist. Don't know what bullet weight or distance! I know this will be the first questions but this is all an experiment. I am a Pennsylvania white tail swamp hunter and long range is all new but at 59 I am hoping I can ease into a new hobby in 6 years and have this ready to go!
Please give advise on the barrel, am I on the right track? Advice is appreciated and requested! Thanks
Read what the pros use prs shooting and pick your bullet and reamer I went with Bart barrel 236 bore m24 1 in 8 shooting 105 Berger hybrids and it shoots good luck

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    633 KB · Views: 74
Brux or Krieger. With Brux if you are unlucky and get one that won't shoot they will replace it no questions asked. Go with the Dasher and 1 in 8 twist to shoot the 105's. If you want to shoot heavier bullets you may want to increase the twist rate. You will need to decide if you want to go with Lapua brass and fireform or use Norma brass. Necks are longer on the Norma brass so if you use a Lapua Dasher reamer you would need to trim the necks back or else use a reamer designed for the longer necks and shoot away. I don't have any experience with the Norma brass to tell you about the number of firings before the primer pockets are loose. Maybe someone von here can or check on Accurate Shooter. Enjoy the ride.

If you do a Dasher be careful what reamer you use, I believe there was some differences in the brass were the Norma and Lapua didnt jive cant remember exactly but I bet Alex or Bigngreen can.

You don't need 30" for a Dasher; it only adds about 8 fps per inch above 24" or so. Accurate shooter did a test by cutting an inch and testing repeatedly.
That is weird, I shoot 26" Dashers and consistently get 40-50 fps more speed than friends running 24" Dashers, and do so with less powder.
Not saying all things are equal, no way can we conduct a test like that.

Theres more to it than the longer neck if I remember correctly or guys would just trim the length back
I have some of it. The only thing is a longer neck. By trimming the neck back it can be shot in Dashers reamed for 6 BR Lapua brass.

I have some of it. The only thing is a longer neck. By trimming the neck back it can be shot in Dashers reamed for 6 BR Lapua brass.
Not disputing what your saying but this is what a read on accurateshooter. Have no real world experience.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200516-183248_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200516-183248_Chrome.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 74
Gap has the 6gt out now but in prs 6xc is king 7.5 twist number 2 I think is still the 6 creedmoor if you want to shoot the new Berger 109 hybrid and heavier then you would be better off with 7.5-7.7 it seems the Bullets keep getting heavier and to get the bc out of the Bullets you need something in the 7.5 range but again match the Bullets and reamer

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.