What barrel to choose

Mauser34

Hello everyone,

I am starting a build for a long range rifle. The action will be on a Winchester model 70 in 300 win mag. I was thinking about using a Lilja barrel. The bullets i want to shoot will be Berger's 210, 215 or 230. What length and rate of twist should i be using?

10 twist, length... As long as you are willing to carry. Keep in mind that those bullets with that case/action will have to be seated very deep if you plan to use it as mag feed. I would suggest a longer box upgrade also.

Hello everyone,

I am starting a build for a long range rifle. The action will be on a Winchester model 70 in 300 win mag. I was thinking about using a Lilja barrel. The bullets i want to shoot will be Berger's 210, 215 or 230. What length and rate of twist should i be using?

1:10" and at least 26" would be my personal choice. I have a 30" Lilja barrel 1:8" 3-groove in my .270 AI and I am very pleased with it.

Any of the main barrel makers will work. I used a 26" Brux for my 300WM build this past winter. I used a reamer with specs suggested by BROZ from this site. It was a ptg 300 WM tactical match with a added 150 thou of free bore. Allows me to have a long COAL and use all the case capacity. And as suggested get a Wyatt extended box. My COAL is 3.718" and using a Hornady comparator tool it is 3.962". This puts me 30 thou off the lands and with H1000 and 215 Bergers I get 3000 fps.

The Wyatt box is the easiest upgrade. i have never fit one on a winchester but on a remmy its just a bit of milling on the action and the stock but not a huge deal.

Like others have said, a 1-10" twist and 26" length would be a great option. I'm a fan of the medium palma, Bartlien #4, and sendero contours.

I just ordered a barrel that I think would be perfect for your application. It is a Krieger, 4 groove, 4.5 contour, 26 inches long, with a 9 inch twist.

What's your budget?

I plan to spend a few thousand on the rifle alone. I want to square the ction, new barrel, new trigger, Manners t4 stock and Fat bastard brake. I dont mind spending a little more money now so i don't have to touch this rifle ever again(only maybe to change the barrel after it is burnt up).

I was also thinking about having a CDI Precision bottom metal mag conversion installed and having the action milled to the same length as a AICS mag. Any ideas on this?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.