What barrel manufacture for semi custom build?

I could make my personal recomendation, but let me give you some thoughts from a hunter/competative long range shooter. Look for a 5R rifling in the barrel. It's not anymore accurate than a traditional cut but it's much easier to clean. 5R rifling has tapers from the rifling to the grooves which removes the deep corners for crud to hide in. Look at cut rifling rather than hammer forged or button rifling. Those methods of creating rifling put a lot of stress in the metal. If they were superior methods of rifling why do all of the top long range shooters that I know use cut rifling? Lastly think about forward weight. I shoot a 30" heavy palma on my FTR gun. Why so heavy? More stability up front and it absorbs recoil so the roughly 100 rounds a day doesn't wear us out in a week of shooting.

I'm building a new 7SS, Defiance ANTI action, AA fiddle back maple hunting rifle, well maybe a hang on the wall rifle. But I'm putting a #3 taper barrel on it so the weight is low enough that I can carry it all day in the mountains. Plus it balances better when the sling is on my shoulder. Heavy barreled rifles will want to roll over your shoulder.

I'm just looking at what I see when I go to big matches like the nationals. Those guys and gals only used what works.

I have used Lothar Walther barrels and are pleased with them also. Can go with off-the-shelf or custom manufacture.

I have pacnor, .
McGowan, and shilen. All have been great. I remember the McGowan took about 3 months to get. Lots of great choices out there.....

Sorta, going with the 70 HH for all things not varmint. Hogs and culling does will be the primary workload for the 70s. 55 gr SP/hollow point for the little furry digging critters and all related mammals.
I think the common 1-10 or 1-12 TW for factory 22-250s is very restrictive as far as bullet weights. No surprises to anyone in that statement. Not that I am going heavy necessarily but just don't want to be stuck with 55-60 gr +- as the heaviest I can shoot. Berger shows the 75 VLD as about max for the 1-8 in their line of bullets.
Not sure on the velocities yet, still in the works.
You picked the right twist. 1 in 8" is the most versatile twist available for that caliber. I happen to have a bunch of the 75-grain A-Max that, with Superformance, shoot far better than I can through my sporter-weight PacNor. Re-barreling is a crap shoot no matter what manufacturer you choose. The barrel is only One part of the equation. The best makers can produce a turd occasionally. The 'smith you choose is every bit as important, if not more so. Good luck.

I just went through the same thing. I called all big guys and small and went with Preferred Barrel Blanks. The owner really took the time to walk me through the whole processes. He ask me questions I didn't even know to ask. He really made me feel appropriate and that he really wanted my business. I can not say enough good things about him. And the barrel it self has been amazing. Anyone looking for a barrel, I guarantee they deserve a look.

Just wanted to add that Preferred is a sister company of Match Grade Machine, which make very good TC Encore barrels. All of the Encore barrels that I have owned of theirs have been sub MOA with factory ammo.

I'm having my old Rem 700 270win sent in for a make over. The action will be trued and a new barrel will be fitted. I'm about 90% confident that I'm going with a 270ai, 1-8 twist, 26" , light Palma (or similar) contour. This will be a hunting rifle.

I've got a semi custom rem 700 SA in 223 with a 1-7 Bartlein. It is a blast (pun intended)

Loyalty runs in my bones, so originally I was going with a Bartlein, but I decided to consult the Oracle. What do you guys think?

Price, availability, lead time, and performance are all factors. Performance is king though.
I'm having my old Rem 700 270win sent in for a make over. The action will be trued and a new barrel will be fitted. I'm about 90% confident that I'm going with a 270ai, 1-8 twist, 26" , light Palma (or similar) contour. This will be a hunting rifle.

I've got a semi custom rem 700 SA in 223 with a 1-7 Bartlein. It is a blast (pun intended)

Loyalty runs in my bones, so originally I was going with a Bartlein, but I decided to consult the Oracle. What do you guys think?

Price, availability, lead time, and performance are all factors. Performance is king though.
You won't be disappointed with this setup with the 1:8 twist, 26 inch barrel. That twist with the 26 inch barrel will give you all of the horsepower out of that .277 heavy bullet and it will run right up there with the new designer cartridges that are presently being touted. Compare your performance with the Nosler group and see how well the .270AI stacks up at a fraction of the cost to shoot for powder and brass, and of the barrel life.

My Douglas barrel on my Rem 700 in 340 Wby shoots sub-1/2" which is outstanding for these old eyes!
That is really good being a big bruiser like the 340 Wby!
I saw on their website where they would install a new barrel chambered to your action for $550-600.00. that sounds to good to be true. I will have to dig deeper into that and report back.

Pac-Nor in Oregon, they've always been a good barrel at a fair price, you might check out their polygonal twist barrel, I've had a lot of success with those. good luck... Cheers

I personally have used and only use SPC tubes so Krieger which I have a couple of safes full of and a CF wrapped Bartlein now on my ELR. The SPC tubes just by the method used to rifle them introduces less stress that the stress relieving process must remove. Just my preference.
Never heard of SPC? Website/info?