what barrel maker makes the lightest contour

Tikkamike

I am considering rebarreling my 375 ultra to a fluted barrel. I would like a krieger but they wont flute anything under a 6 because they dont have the tools to pressure test what it safe so they only flute heavier barrels. I want a barrel that will match my factory remington barrel or at least close to it and flute it. anyone have any info on this for making an ultralight rifle?

When I built my 7 saum the #4 Douglas conture was about 1/2 pound lighter than a #4 Schillen conture. I think a #3 Douglas conture would be as light as I would want to go with something like the 375.

Hope this helps.

I am considering rebarreling my 375 ultra to a fluted barrel. I would like a krieger but they wont flute anything under a 6 because they dont have the tools to pressure test what it safe so they only flute heavier barrels. I want a barrel that will match my factory remington barrel or at least close to it and flute it. anyone have any info on this for making an ultralight rifle?

I think you cab get a Pacnor in the factory Weatherby contours, and that's a pretty light barrel.
gary

I heard Brux will flute down to a #4, but that's probably in certain calibers, like 30 or less maybe.?

Just curious, why in the world do you want an ultralight barrel in a 375 UltraMag? Sounds pretty scary to me.

Bruce, its already a pencil barrel i just was hoping to dress it up a little and have a nice hand lapped barrel. its not bad to shoot with a nice CSR Brake but it is still handfull. Nice carry rifle for elk!

Bruce, its already a pencil barrel i just was hoping to dress it up a little and have a nice hand lapped barrel. its not bad to shoot with a nice CSR Brake but it is still handfull. Nice carry rifle for elk!

I looked at Pac Nor's website a few minutes ago, and they make some really skinny barrels. Your problem will be in the flutting. Might be worth an email. Of course if you really wanted to make something neat, you could go with a tapered octagon barrel like Winchester used to offer
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.