What Barrel Length and Twist for a 270WSM Build

Full Curl

I finally shot the barrel out of my 270WSM. I'm going to have it rebarreled and customized… action trued, lug pinned, and bedded. I own a couple custom sticks but have never built my own. I'm going to stick with the 270WSM caliber and the primary purpose will be hunting, mostly deer type game. I handload and currently use 140gr accubonds in my load of choice but would also like to maintain some bullet flexibility for the future.

I've never built my own rifle so wanted to tap some of the experience on here and see what folks would recommend for barrel length and twist? I don't need a 1000yd gun with this one. Maybe 800yd range gun and 600yd hunting rig. Weight is a consideration but I don't need an ultralight mountain gun.

It's going to be one of my all around general purpose hunting rigs.

Thanks for any insight.

I built a Model 70 with a a 1:8 twist because I wanted to shoot the 165 gr Matrix and the 170 gr Bergers. I also went with a 26" to get the most out of it. It shoots 130's-150's very accurate as well. Its an awesome gun and very accurate. Its good to know you can shoot the heavies if you need to. That being said, a stock barreled 270 wsm is all you would need it sounds like. If your max will be 800 yrds, buys some 140's-150's, you'll poke out there easily with these. Have fun with the build!

I finally shot the barrel out of my 270WSM. I'm going to have it rebarreled and customized… action trued, lug pinned, and bedded. I own a couple custom sticks but have never built my own. I'm going to stick with the 270WSM caliber and the primary purpose will be hunting, mostly deer type game. I handload and currently use 140gr accubonds in my load of choice but would also like to maintain some bullet flexibility for the future.

I've never built my own rifle so wanted to tap some of the experience on here and see what folks would recommend for barrel length and twist? I don't need a 1000yd gun with this one. Maybe 800yd range gun and 600yd hunting rig. Weight is a consideration but I don't need an ultralight mountain gun.

Thanks for any insight.
24" 8 twist
But most importantly make sure you get a barrel that's .007 larger 😎

Thanks for any insight.
I'm in the same boat as you I thank when I get everything together I'm going to go with a 1:9 twist and 26 inch barrel in 270 wsm by what I've researched that would cover the bullet weights I want to shoot

Thanks for all the good replies.

I checked out Berger's Twist Rate Calculator and looks like anywhere from a 8:1 to 10:1 would work for a 140gr to 150gr bullet. But when I go to the 170gr VLD it looks like I want a 8.5:1 minimum. Do the barrel guys even make a 8.5:1 or are you limited to 8:1 or 9:1?

If I went with a 8:1 over the 9:1 what would I be giving up with the 140s and 150s? Anything? Or in other words, why would I not want to go with a 8:1 since it'll also handle the 170s?

Thanks for all the good replies.

I checked out Berger's Twist Rate Calculator and looks like anywhere from a 8:1 to 10:1 would work for a 140gr to 150gr bullet. But when I go to the 170gr VLD it looks like I want a 8.5:1 minimum. Do the barrel guys even make a 8.5:1 or are you limited to 8:1 or 9:1?

If I went with a 8:1 over the 9:1 what would I be giving up with the 140s and 150s? Anything? Or in other words, why would I not want to go with a 8:1 since it'll also handle the 170s?
No reason not too....im building a .270 sherman max and using a 1:8 tw...but i plan on using 170 bergers and a heavy type hammer/cutting edge bullet. I also live in louisiana with low altitude, high humidity and cold mornings that could destabilize the bullet if i dont esp with copper solids. I found a .270 8tw here for sale otherwise i would have got an 1:7.5 tw if i would have ordered a barrel.