What ballistic program to use

rimrockhunter

Been comparing the dope from the following three different programs
Strelok Pro (phone app)
Sierra Infinity
LRH online calculator
The LRH calc is real close to the Strelok Pro while the Sierra Program shows 25" less drops at 1000 yards. All three programs are really close out to 700 yards, then the Sierra program begins to really deviate from the other two. What to do ?

Yes I have got my own data out to 750. Been shooting the same rig since 2010, but with a 500 yard zero. I toned down my load and want to go with a 400 yard zero, so began playing with my programs for the first time in a while. I double checked the inputs but will do so again. Do you have any quick tips for measuring the scope height from center of bore ? I have never done it (foolishly) and is my only unknown.
Thanks

no tricks there but running the difference in 1.5 and 1.75 i'm only seeing 1 click difference at 1000 so as long as you have something put in the program in that range I doubt that is your issue.

does your actual drop match up with any of the programs?

I have found that the Nightforce, Shooter(iPhone), Ballistic FTE(IPhone), and BOTW all produce identical drop data with the same inputs. They all match the output of my G7 BR2 Rangefinder. They all seem to use the same algorithm. The drop data matches the actual shooting results out to 1000+ with two different rifles. I'm partial to Shooter , and use itin the field when I'm not using my G7 BR2.

another vote for shooter, altho I am switching over to using bryan's applied ballistics app. kinda like shooter's big brother. I like the retical features of the AB app

I'm a big fan of the applied ballistics app as well. Used exbal for a while but don't miss it. Had a friend that used shooter until he couldn't get things to match up and I started running his numbers. He could have just been entering something wrong but he is doing much better with applied ballistics.

My drops data match up with all three out to 650. Then real close to the Strelok and LRH programs out to 750. Am going to find a new spot to shoot further tomorrow.

seems that if you are getting that big of a difference that something has to be different in the inputs.

care to share your inputs where I can run them thru AB?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.