What backpack hunts are you planning for 2014?

Timber338

I am currently in the process of applying for all of my 2014 tags (and preference points) for upcoming season in Colorado. I've got hunting on my mind and curious what everybody else has in the works.

here's what I'm hoping works out on my end.

8 - 10 day Backpack archery elk hunt the last week of September. OTC either sex tag, valid in literally dozens of units across the state. Likely will hunt somewhere on the Western slope.

5-? day1st rifle season black bear and cow elk hunt. Backpack in on Friday before the season and stay however long it takes me to pack out everything we shoot. If I am successful during archery then no pressure to shoot a cow, and I can focus on bear.

3-4 day rifle buck hunt, 2nd season. Maybe backpack in, maybe just sleep in the truck. With a 3 year old and 1 year old at home, it's going to be hard to make this hunt happen AND keep my wife happy. :rolleyes:

Anybody else planning any fun backpack hunts?

I'll be doing a 3-4 night backpack scouting trip in August in CO (probably solo). I'll be scouting for an archery elk hunt the last week of archery season.

For that hunt, my partner and I will base camp near the truck and, if needed, will bivy out for a night or two.

I started ramping up my workouts last week, but a bad cold this week has slowed me down. I can't wait for hunting season and wish it would come sooner. On the other hand I need the time to get back in mountain shape.

I'll also be going on the LRH group elk hunt in WY in October so I'm planning to get some horseback riding in this summer to stretch my knees out a little. On past horseback hunts where I didn't do any riding before the hunt, the combination of riding and hiking up and down steep slopes really screwed up my knees.

Anyone else backpack hunting?

hoping to do a 5-7day early season muley hunt in area 47(hunters frying pan).never been there,so if I fill a tag it will be luck.ive been researching as much as I can about the area.
this will also be my first backcountry hunting trip.love hunting and backpacking so I will get to combind them both.
putting in for tag tomm.have found out it is rough country and tuff hunting,to say im excited is an understatement:)
good luck to everyone

Have to work my backpack hunting around clients and I don't know who's going to draw yet. That being said I hope to get in a couple Friday night to Sunday night scouting trips. 1 or 2 4 day archery elk trips and 1 mule deer pack in trip.

I have a trip to AK for Dall Sheep. Maybe look to hunt other game if I can tag a Dall early in the hunt.
Still looking for another trip. Something simple like a deer hunt out of state.

I hear you about knees hurting from riding horses. About killed me last year chasing mule deer in NM.

I am turning 60 this year so decided to go for it! Mountain goat and grizz backpack hunt in BC this fall. Have two new hips and lots of pins and plates so prep has been a concern and priority! Sure hope the hunt gets here soon cuz I keep finding reasons to replace equipment etc .

I am turning 60 this year so decided to go for it! Mountain goat and grizz backpack hunt in BC this fall. Have two new hips and lots of pins and plates so prep has been a concern and priority! Sure hope the hunt gets here soon cuz I keep finding reasons to replace equipment etc .

Now that's a trip... backpacking for Grizz!! What rifle are you taking? I assume only one gun for both mountain goat and grizz since you're backpacking?

I started out with a 7mm Ultra Mag, rebarraled to 30 Ultra with a Vias brake. Timney trigger and HS Precision stock. Getting 1/2" groups at 200 yrds. with 220 gr Nosler Partitions.

I started out with a 7mm Ultra Mag, rebarraled to 30 Ultra with a Vias brake. Timney trigger and HS Precision stock. Getting 1/2" groups at 200 yrds. with 220 gr Nosler Partitions.

I think that'll get it done! What length and contour barrel did you go with?

Hoping to get a few of what I call "Walkabout" hunts in (overnighter). If all goes right I'll be picking up a hunting dog soon and will be working on him with grouse and rabbits.

4 day hunt for deer.

4 day hunt for elk.

Hopefully a 4 day hunt for bear.

I'm going back to Idaho this year, gonna plan on hiking up to the timberline areas where some good mules I saw last year were hanging out.

I'm booked with Stan Stevens for Dall sheep, moose and caribou for 10 days in the Yukon. Gotta thank Grand Slam Ovis for that one! 14 weeks and counting

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.