What are your uses for different brass?

Evan1678

I have recently started separating my brass out by brand, and was wonder if other hand loaders use different brass for different occasions. I found that I have a good number of match brass also. Does anyone use Match brass for anything special?gun)

From what you said I assume you are talking about 223 brass. If you are using it for hunting I don`t bother sorting. I do keep different`t batches for the gun I use for serious bench shooting, but I also trim and turn the neck on this brass. Unless your wanting groups under 1/2 moa don`t worry about it.

Myself personally I reload .308 but I am curious about any caliber. I keep getting told that I need to sort my brass and was just wondering what brand people prefer and for what reason.

=... I keep getting told that I need to sort my brass and was just wondering what brand people prefer and for what reason.
Like Catfish said, unless you're loading for competition there isn't much need to go through the trouble of sorting brass. You'll generally find that just about any assortment of good quality commercially prepared brass (Winchester, Western, Remington, etc.) will get you into the 1 MOA range and that's plenty good enough, even for long range hunting out to perhaps 800 yards. That assumes, of course, that your shooting skills are sharpened to work at that range. Once you get past 800 yards 1 MOA, IMO, isn't quite good enough and you need to get closer to 1/2 MOA with those same skills.
That said, you can get 1/2 MOA with good quality brass (best to use the same lot - same head stamp) along with some neck sizing and load adjustment.
You'll find some shooters sorting brass by weight, volume, head stamp, color, number of firings, etc. No reason for a hunter to drive himself nuts with all that. Just load, practice, hunt. gun) - - - - - - - x

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.