What are your favorite reloading dies, and why?

MT, look into this further. The standard "S" type sizing die does not capture the case in a sleeve and align it before it starts sizing. The competition neck die does. Also on my Lapua, even though the shoulder location is fine, when you full length size you are always doin quite a bit of sizing at the lower part of the case. I feel this being an area we do not anneal resizing it when not needed will lead to case failure in this area. I had a very lengthy conversation with Robin at redding about all this and the proper way to set up these dies in the Redding T-7 press. Ribin was a great help to my reloading.

One more thing, if you already have the standard die, just purchase the comp neck die. Then remove all the moving parts and the bushing from the standard sizer and it will become the die to use for body and shoulder sizing when needed.

Just food for thought.

Jeff

Jeff, You are right about the competition sizer. I called Redding and talked to Chris and his opinion was that I probably wouldn't see a big difference between the standard and the competiton. He said the competiton seater is where you see a big difference.

When I get a runout guage, I'll check necks and bullets. until then, I'll just neck size until I need to body size and just back it down so the case just fits and will probably body size each load after that for consistancy.

I will think about getting the competiton sizer for my 25-06. Thanks for the tips.

Mark

I've had good luck with the Forster FL bench rest resizing die. For bullet seating, the best I've used is the Redding competition seating die. The Forster is probably equally as good, but I like the precision adjustment of the Redding a little better. It just seems a little more precise than the Forster, but both are outstanding seaters.

Actually, the functioning part of those are the same, Redding copied Forster's design after the patent expired and changed the micrometer head a little. Therefore, not to put too fine a point on it, both are quite good but I slightly prefer Forsters. Different strokes....but, mox nix.

BEST not cheapest, in this order

Absolute best dies are the custom Neil Jones to exactly match your chamber, shoulder bump bushings and micro seater $325

Second is JLC Precision FL die made from Redding body bump die with bushings. Also custom honed for your chamber. $80

Factory dies are Forester Bonanza BR dies with micro seater. Still convert the FL die to bushings with JLC ($40)

Redding Comp dies

Hornady Custom

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.