What are you using to dry your bino / scope lenses in the field?

Brown Dog

Up in Scotland in just over a week; thinking of the frustration of Highland drizzle when using binos. I've got no clever suggestions/ideas for lens drying materials other than a dry (at the start of the day!) cotton handkerchief.....there must be some better ideas out there!?
Anyone?

Have used compressed air once I got home from a diving bottle (with filter) to get rid of water when things got soaked (binos, scope, rifle). In the field always left them wet but you could try Canned Air from a photographic shop if it has enough pressure. Bigger droplets shift easier than fine mist.

David.

Two birds with one stone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Take toilet paper in a baggie. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Brown Dog,

At some of the stores here like Gander Mountain, Cabeleas, and Bass Pro they sell handy dandy eye glass cleaners which have a small plastic clip on one end then a small pouch which contains a special cloth that tucks into the pouch. Its a great idea, I use them for my glasses, binos and scope.

Lance

The area we hunt the most consist of flat farmland bordered by river bottom, and the only time we don't hit the woods is when it is lightning. On most mornings it is realatively damp to say the least. We have had many problems with the same thing your talking about not to mention it being clear and cool when you hit the field before first light, set up, and just as the light is breaking on the horizon, a slow fog rolls in from across the field or out of the bottoms. The following condensation which appears on everything when this happens will drive you completely nuts. We have tried scope caps and covers of all sorts with no avail. I even went so far as to apply some Rain-X on one of my older scopes lens just to see if it would help out. Don't do it. I have to say that in a down pour it is great, however, in the misty fog it just seems to compound the problem.

The only thing I have actually found that works, is tissue paper and party balloons. Simply put the tissue paper inside the end of your scope, and stretch the balloon across the top. It might look silly but they will seal off better than any other covers we have found. It takes a little time to prep but once done works great. Just roll up enough tissue to fit the inside of the lens, and stretch the balloon across the top of it to hold it all in place. Generally if you work with it just a little, you can manage to keep enough of the tissue to the side as you install the balloon that it will catch on the edge of the balloon as you roll it off, and come out as you roll the balloon off.

As for the bino's, I had similar problems with them, but went to putting a 1 gal zip lock bag inside of my outter jacket with the opening looking to the side. This allows me to slip the optics into the bag and keep most of the bigger stuff away from them. Even though they are completely waterproof, it makes them much easier to keep clear. Just use a couple of safety pins to secure it in place, with a piece of duct tape doubled over the corners to reinforce the bag. Might sound pretty lame, but when hunting in adverse conditions it makes up for the trouble very quickly. They might still get damp and have a little moisture on them, but when you really need them at least you will be able to see through them quickly. As for the bag making noise, I have found that since it is mostly covered by your outter wear, and your only going to have enough of it open to allow for the optics to slip through, it is a non issue. I have had deer within 30' of me when pulling them out to look at or others or through the underbrush. They never even knew I was there.

Another thing you might look into instead of the balloons are Finger Cots. They generally sell them at pharmacies or in those dept, at larger stores. They are for covering injured fingers and such to keep moisture away. They will work better for the larger diameter scopes but generally cost a little more. As for the balloons you just have to try some to figure out which ones fit the best.

Hope this at least gives you something to work with.

Elite scopes and binos have rainguard which does help to keep mist from forming on lenses. Other option is simply to wipe them with a towel or camera lense tissue. Reg. tissue can scratch.

For my scope, I use pop open lense covers. For my binos, I have a factory cover which go over the eyepieces while walking. Objective are facing down so don't get wet. Not perfect but certainly enough to function in the wet stuff.

Jerry

Something I have seen and used a bit was Swaro SLC`s 8x30`s with Butler Creek cover the objectives. Seems to protect them very well and keep most of the rain away.

Slightly off topic but a good way to keep rain off the scope objective even with a sunshade is not to use a fluted barrel. Have seen water collect in the flutes and when shot the water flies up, managed to go over the objective lens even with a sunshade on (not much fun when the water started off as snow, turned to water with the barrel heat and then got frozen on the objective).

Prevention or limitation seems better than cure, as trying to clean a lens in the field seems an easy way to get it scratched.

David.

Years ago whilst still in the UK where it (fortunately!) is posible to see rain every so often, I used camera filters screwed onto the front scope lens. Went to Jessops and bought three. Would change them over if they got bad and clean them gently at home. This does nt work with all scope I know - but.....

like it is gonna rain in october up here...... it's like summer just now browndog, you have nothing to worry about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

All,

Thanks for your responses, some very neat 'prevention' ideas there; but wet lenses seem to be almost an inevitability in Scotland (-you always seem to have to glass upwind into drizzle!) ...it's a bit like 'waterproof' boots -it's not a question of 'if' your feet will get wet, it's a question of 'when'!

I was more after in-the-field 'cure' ideas ....as ds pointed out, I'm always a little worried about scratching lens coatings when wiping with a handkerchief or similar (I don't use paper tissues due to their recognised 'scratchiness') ...looks like I'll have to stay low tech!

Derek [ QUOTE ]
like it is gonna rain in october up here...... it's like summer just now browndog, you have nothing to worry about

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

...so I'll be OK with just the one goretex then?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

us true professionals wear Nomad gear, goretex is too noisy for creeping about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts