What are you shooting?

Since when is an AR pistol completely legal? Register it as NFA firearm and then it's legal. Any clown that's taking a "rifle" receiver, and turning it into a handgun without the Bureau of NAZI's (BATF) knowledge is breaking the law.

They'll probably never find out unless you get into some other trouble and they search your home and /or vehicles. Then your original troubles are compounded.

Or, you could be caught if you're a moron and post pictures and descriptions on a firearms chat forum.

Don't be hard headed. She bought it over the counter, right? Right. It was manufactured and serial numbered as a HANDGUN so it's legal as a HANDGUN.
We're talking about converting rifles to handguns. It's not legal unless it's BATF/NFA approved, period, no matter how much we wish it was.

Yes you can swap them back and forth all day, legally, if the Contender or Encore was sold as a handgun. If it said "RIFLE" on the box, you can't LEGALLY convert it.
If it was sold as a rifle, it's a RIFLE. And it's illegal to convert a rifle to a handgun.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes you can swap them back and forth all day, legally, if the Contender or Encore was sold as a handgun. If it said "RIFLE" on the box, you can't LEGALLY convert it.
If it was sold as a rifle, it's a RIFLE. And it's illegal to convert a rifle to a handgun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not arguing that what your saying isn't correct, I'm sure it is. I just doubt anyone pays much, if any attention to it. Bill T.

You were arguing. Now you're back stepping. But you hit the point correctly in that no one pays much attention to Contenders and Encores. That is unless you talk about it, post pictures, etc. Don't be fooled into thinking these forums aren't watched.

Again, no one pays much attention. However, get into trouble for something unrelated and see how fast someone pays attention to your converted handgun. They'll dig up everything they can to make you appear dirty so the original charge sticks.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't be fooled into thinking these forums aren't watched.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what? Your sounding paranoid. Let them watch. The only ones who need to be worrying are the ones who have something to hide. This whole thing is much to do about nothing. Bill T.

on another note, Bill. Where in Glendale do you shoot. Ben Avery? is the Glendale Rod and gun club still around? I used to be a member there several years ago. Is Randalls gun shop still open, I used to spend alot of $ there? They used to have a pretty good handgun selection as well.
nmhunter

[ QUOTE ]
on another note, Bill. Where in Glendale do you shoot. Ben Avery? is the Glendale Rod and gun club still around? I used to be a member there several years ago. Is Randalls gun shop still open, I used to spend alot of $ there? They used to have a pretty good handgun selection as well.
nmhunter

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to shoot at Ben Avery all the time until I joined the Phoenix Rod & Gun Club a short time ago.

http://www.phoenixrodandgun.org/

I work weekend nights and have off all week, but Ben Avery is closed on Monday and Tuesdays, and forget it on the weekend. Waiting time for a bench can be up to 2 hours it's so crowded. I was a member of the Surprise Sportsmans Club, (formerly the Peoria Rod & Gun Club), but they lost their lease and had to vacate the property. They don't have another location at the moment, and I'm afraid that club will be lost as was the Litchfield Park Trap & Skeet Club when they sold out because it was getting so crowded with housing around there. They were going to move out to a place near Wintersburg Road by Tonapah, but that deal fell thru, and they as well haven't relocated. They held the second largest trap shoot in the country, the Spring Grand. I was a member there as well. It's the same story most everywhere. Encroachment by housing is forcing a lot of clubs to close. The Phoenix Rod & Gun Club is really nice, and they've been there since the 30's. They are located right next to the Phoenix Police Training Academy, up against South Mountain. They recently had an electronic gate installed. They give the code to members only so I like going during the week, after rush hour is over. I punch in the code, the automatic gate opens, and I've got the whole place to myself. They have several ranges, and it's a really nice place. It's built up around there but the Phoenix Police Dept. shoots all hours of the day and night and they're not about to kick them out so the location is very safe in that regard. I shop all the time at Randall's. I always try and buy from Davidsons on line thru them. Their prices and service are top notch. I'm just 2 miles from the new Cabela's and we have 3 Sportsmans Warehouses, and a Bass Pro Shop coming to Mesa later this year which is really nice. Like any big city, housing is getting very expensive, and it's getting crowded. Bill T.

If memory is correct the Peoria club was where I was a member, was it out past the sun city sites, just west over the vaiduct. we used to live in Surprise, probably wouldn't recognize it now due to the growth. really enjoyed Randall's. is it still under the same ownership? bought several rifles from them and had some smithing done by a smith that was located next door for a while.
glad you have a place to shoot, that was always the problem with the B/A range and it sounds like it still is.
thanks for the info back.
tom

[ QUOTE ]
If memory is correct the Peoria club was where I was a member, was it out past the sun city sites, just west over the vaiduct. we used to live in Surprise, probably wouldn't recognize it now due to the growth. really enjoyed Randall's. is it still under the same ownership? bought several rifles from them and had some smithing done by a smith that was located next door for a while.
glad you have a place to shoot, that was always the problem with the B/A range and it sounds like it still is.
thanks for the info back.
tom

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it was just north of Sun City, right around what is now the 303 and Grand Ave. intersection. Not too far from Whittman. Randall's is under the same ownership I believe, Kevin is still there, as is the gunsmith next door. Were you happy with his work? What type of work did you have performed there? I ask because you can never know enough GOOD gunsmiths, and I hate like hell to just take a stab at one if you know what I mean. Bill T.

I had the smith install some KDF brakes for me, he did a very good job, matched the barrel contour very well.
Kevin was always good to deal with , tell him Tom Craft said hello, I bought several weatherby's from him and a few HS stocks as well, don't have the long guns any longer, gave them to son and son in law, only have the HS handguns now. there was a "big' guy there as well, was real active in the Varmint hunting assoc. can't remember his name.
tom

Ahh, another Weatherby man. I have 4, 2 Vanguards, and 2 Mark V's. .30-06, .300 Weatherby, .338-378 Weatherby, and .460 Weatherby. I'm thinking of possibly a .30-378 Accumark next Fall. Just can't have enough Weatherbys! Thanks for the heads up on the smith. I've got a Remington 7400 semi auto Jam-O-Matic in .30-06 that has a rough chamber that is causing extraction problems. I may take it to him. Bill T.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.