What are you shooting?

I have two MOA's with barrels in .250 Savage, 6BR and 7 BR. I have an XP100 with a 6BR heavy benchrest barrel in a McMillan low profile stock with the Rifle Basix trigger. The barrel was taken from a benchrest rifle and cut to 15". I also have a Contender with a 14" .223 barrel.

Nice rigs, got any pics?
I had the opportunity to meet the MOA guru while in WY last year and fired a couple rounds out of a 25 WSSM he had just built. May have to have one of these for my collection. Yotefever is a big supporter of the MOA as well.
nmhunter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ranger,
Is that a Mcmillan stock on the 308?Also tell me about the safety,Gentry?I've got an xp in 7BR that I hope to rebarrel to 25WSSM in the near future.Why 25WSSM?Cause it just sorta jumped into my head one afternoon that it would be worth trying.If it doesn't work out guess I'll regroup and devise another scheme.
Brute

Brute,
It's a factory XP stock. Altered of course. I built up the fore end with fiberglass, then reshaped it. It's bedded with two steel rods under the receiver, and the barrel is floated. It's wrinkle finished with airbrushed camo pattern.
I don't know much about the 25 WSSM except that its a real barrel burner. I shoot a lot and would hate to have to re-barrel an XP twice a year.
Yep, that's a Gentry bolt shroud. they're made for 700's but will work with XP's after some fitting. The newer Gentry shrouds require some receiver fitting.

In southern Michigan, handguns must be straight wall cartridges to be used for deer hunting. For that I use this Encore with a .357Max 140gr XTP at 2400fps. I've fired it twice at deer and both times one shot kills (70yds and 110yds).

The barrel shown in the picture is a 16" 7mm-08 from the TC custom shop. I have the rifle forearm on it so I can use the bi-pod. I've yet to take this barrel hunting, but it really shoots.

It shoots the 139gr SST's very well (averages 2620fps). I just hate to embarrass the average 30-06 deer hunter with it at the range /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif It also shoots the 162A-max OK at around 2330fps. Neither load shows any pressure signs, so I could certainly push them up a touch. I use IMR4064 in the 7mm-08 and H110 for the 357max.

From the bench, I can break clay pigeons all day with the 357Max at 200yds, I can clean up the broken pieces with the 7mm-08.

It has a Bushnell Elite 3-6x scope which works pretty well.

Nothing but what you guys think about a 12" 7mm-08 barrel on an Encore for whitetails? All shots would be under a 100 yrds....any other cals for a 12" barrel? Im lookin and open for suggestions!

Sorry AJ i thought that was a .357 MAX, what would it do with a 12" barrel? Give up what up think about a 12" .357 max also.

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing but what you guys think about a 12" 7mm-08 barrel on an Encore for whitetails? All shots would be under a 100 yrds....any other cals for a 12" barrel? Im lookin and open for suggestions!

[/ QUOTE ]
It will easily do the job for what you are describing.
In a 12" a 7BR would be great also.

338-300 WSM
300gr SMK at 2200fps, it has a little drop but that big ol bullet doesn't slow down very fast, and it absolutly punishes everything it hits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here is a picture, It is an old pic, I have done some modifications since, but I still need to clean up the stock a little. I have an integrated bipod not shown that attaches to the front.
f02c7ef4.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.