What are you shooting at? Long Range Targets.

After shooting a little at my steel targets I have a couple of things to think about. The 19" disc is not going to work for shots closer than 1000 for the 6.5-284. At 750 the bullets went right through it. Also, at 1080 one hit the leg of the stand and went through it. I am amazed that little bullet will punch through.

The second target is good for distances 700 plus but the size is the issue. At 540 the craters in the steel are pretty deep but at 787 there are no craters. However the target size does not provide good feedback for misses during load developement etc. It seems a 2-3 MOA sized target works a bit better for spotting while shooting without a spotter.

I think the guys shooting at larger targets with small POA dots are likely on the right track for training purposes. Shooting at smaller steel for purposes of Did I Hit It or Not makes sense once a shooter and rifle are tuned up and the idea is to strike the target on cold bore 1st round attempts.

Just my latest observations.

you need to get out and about more and check out some of what goes on in long range benchrest matches.
yes depending upon conditions some use smaller cartridges like a 6mm dasher.
when its windy however many are still using 30 cal or other magnum cartridges.
the 10 shot 1000 yd record which is under 3" is currently held by a shooter using a 300wsm.
many of those shooters are also long range hunters.
first round hits have always been saught by hunters so there is nothing new about that. the equiptment today can in some respects make it easier to do that than it was just a few years ago. but the fact is there were very successful long range hunters many years ago and their system is still producing very good results.
a dead animal is the bottom line for success. wether it took 1 or 3 shots to
accomplish that is insignificant other than for personal satisfaction.
in that regard its no different than bragging over a small group.
if your hung up on the value of it carry only one bullet with you. if you miss you failed and its over. just pray you dont hit any tree limbs because where i hunt
theres lots of them. i guess kestrel hasent figured out how to deal with that yet.

I am not sure I agree with part of this. if a dead animal as the end result of a long range hunt is success that's fine but not caring whether it takes 1 or 3 shots sounds terrible. If you can't make a good first round hit you shouldn't be hunting at that range and need more practice. A clean miss is one thing and you can get a new dope off that and shoot again but if you think 3 shots to get animal down is acceptable perhaps you need to reevaluate your hunting ethics. Again stuff happens and you may need to follow up but if you can't make a first round hit a very high percent of the time don't shoot at that range till you can. If you are shooting simply hoping to get on the animal to slow him down to shoot again you're doing it wrong. Perhaps this is not what you meant but again if you not reasonably sure you will be in the kill zone please don't shoot.

Hi guys i am looking to buy long range rifle with 300 wsm so wich is the best long range accurate rifle between those 3 rifles ? ( 12 VLP DBM ) or ( Model 70 Coyote Light ) or ( X-Bolt Long Range Hunter Carbon Fiber ) please i need a help or idea to make my mind on one thanks .

Hi guys i am looking to buy long range rifle with 300 wsm so wich is the best long range accurate rifle between those 3 rifles ? ( 12 VLP DBM ) or ( Model 70 Coyote Light ) or ( X-Bolt Long Range Hunter Carbon Fiber ) please i need a help or idea to make my mind on one thanks .

Can you say "hijack"!! You really should start your own thread.

Hang a kill zone size circle of ar 500 (10 or 12") with chain or belting on that 4x8 sheet. Then use masking tape to cover old holes.

Jeff

Same idea - but I use a tube of caulk to fill the holes in plywood. Even mounted a little chunk of PVC pipe onto the plywood to hold the tube of caulk when not needed.

Weather is going to be bad, monday and tuesday in alabama so i am going to start on cutting and welding my targets. I know all of you have seen the man size target to are sold with the hole in to chest or center that can pop or ring,and you can paint them different colors? Well ive got some steel . Im going to make a 30 in circle with a 10 in hole cut in it then take that piece and weld it with a henge and spring in the back. The target will be white and the cutt out section painted Black or Orange. This target will hang from small swing set target that i have in place at 360 acre flat cornfield for my 1 mile target.

Shooting at ice, is in my opinion the best target thyere is, but there is a season for it.
You can really reach way out there.

My 338LM rifle has now more then 5000 rounds through it, and it still shoots a 3 shot group at 0.75 moa at 2200 meters.
In this video, I used 2 shots to get on target, my ammo was not veryfied, and since I use a silencer, mirage from the silencer becomes a problem after only 3 shots. So the last three shots hit high and low of the group, due to this mirage.

But 300 grs Lapua Scenar works fine way out in the subsonic range.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl-OL4y8iqM&feature=c4-overview&list=UUdAUB-Fmhowf4BA3CJr-wJw]338LM @ 2200 meter 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Here is a picture of my backstop for shooting long range. It is private land so no one ever bothers me out here. I put my 24"x24" AR500 steel target down at the base of the mountain below that large saddle on the left side of the mountain. The picture was taken 1780 yards from the target which is the furtherest that I have shot. You really don't realize how far away it is until you see it in a picture!

IMG_0572.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.