What are you looking for?

GunDoc7

This is purely a opinion based question, and I'm not looking for the "right" answer, I'm looking for a survey of the masses. Let's start with an easy caliber for this, something that everyone has and is an overall great hunting round; it can be a .308, .30-06, .270, whatever you want that's not the important part of this. What I'm trying to find out is what else people are looking for in a completed hunting rifle, is extra work like glass bedding and a trigger job a necessity, and do you worry about inletting the barrel channel? What optics and accessories are you looking for? Obviously I'm not listing all the options and I'm sure everyone is aware of them so speak freely. Something as simple as quick breakdown on what price range you are trying to stay in by completion is fine; perhaps a break-down in price range for each add-on and accessory if you have an idea. Lastly if you wouldn't mind sharing your general location that would be an appreciated piece of info as well.

Thanks for the time and interest.
gun)

This is purely a opinion based question, and I'm not looking for the "right" answer, I'm looking for a survey of the masses. Let's start with an easy caliber for this, something that everyone has and is an overall great hunting round; it can be a .308, .30-06, .270, whatever you want that's not the important part of this. What I'm trying to find out is what else people are looking for in a completed hunting rifle, is extra work like glass bedding and a trigger job a necessity, and do you worry about inletting the barrel channel? What optics and accessories are you looking for? Obviously I'm not listing all the options and I'm sure everyone is aware of them so speak freely. Something as simple as quick breakdown on what price range you are trying to stay in by completion is fine; perhaps a break-down in price range for each add-on and accessory if you have an idea. Lastly if you wouldn't mind sharing your general location that would be an appreciated piece of info as well.

Thanks for the time and interest.
gun)

Since you specified a simple " hunting rifle", I assume you don't mean a long range hunting rifle. So I don't feel anything above or beyond an inexpensive off the shelf hunting rifle is needed; except for better rings and maybe mounts.

Of all the rifles I own, my favorite is my Howa 1500 in 30-06; cost me $450. It is stock except for the Burris Signature Zee rings, which cost about $50. There has been over 3000 shots fired through it.

For your run of the mill hunting rifle, I would think about $500 would do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you specified a simple " hunting rifle", I assume you don't mean a long range hunting rifle. So I don't feel anything above or beyond an inexpensive off the shelf hunting rifle is needed; except for better rings and maybe mounts.

Of all the rifles I own, my favorite is my Howa 1500 in 30-06; cost me $450. It is stock except for the Burris Signature Zee rings, which cost about $50. There has been over 3000 shots fired through it.

For your run of the mill hunting rifle, I would think about $500 would do it.

What scope do you have on top?

Okay, lets branch out a bit then from the first question and try this direction. What do you consider the differences between a simple off the shelf hunting rifle, and a long range hunting rifle? And lets focus on bullet point comparisons such as optic differences, after market parts being necessary, or not necessary, stock replacement and work, such as glass bedding. Trigger jobs on either weapon. Etc.

I'm sorry for the cluster of this question but it seems I have an overwhelmingly high expectation from my firearms, even the "working" class guns, and as a up and coming smith I just need as much information on what people buy, why and what they buy it for. I hope this makes sense as I'm rushing to get out of the shop today, but if it doesn't please feel free to post back questions along with responses.

-Take it easy friends-

Personally for me I want a 12bvss in 308. I can't really afford one financially right now or for a little while but that is what I would like. The reason: very good action to build off of, ease of changing barrels myself, and the ability to do all work on rifle myself. The main concern is to keep price down, including gunsmithing. I don't mean to rag on gunsmiths but I think for the common shooting enthusiast they cannot afford a couple thousand dollar rifle coupled with a couple thousand dollar scope. This kind of goes along with the statement above. Like I said this is from the poor/ common mans perspective. Don't get me wrong though I would love to have all those things, but I would be terrified to break them and wouldn't really get the full enjoyment out of them because of that fear (SAFE QUEEN).

I would really like a nice .257 Roberts.

Decent laminate stock to make it a 'walking' varminter
Free floated barrel
Glass bedded action
Built on a 7x57 VZ24 or 1909 Argentine action
3 position M70 style safety
24" heavy sporter barrel
Uprated Timney trigger
Good variable glass on top

In practice what do we really want in a hunting rifle (in no particular order):

1) Accurate (better than 2MOA probably fine)
2) Stock stiff enough to use a bipod
3) Practical and easy to feed calibre (6.5x55 to .30-06 is probably about right)
4) Decent glass (you usually run out of light long before anything else)
5) Easy to get replacement parts for (in the field, things break)

If it won't do 1-5 above, you should probably think about something else in my view.

ATB,

Scrummy

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.