What are using to throw and weight powder charges?

Remmy700

Just curious what most people are using to throw and weight powder charges? And with that method what are u seeing as far as load to load consistency? Or better question what is your acceptable variance that u find acceptable from load to load between those powder charges? I am running a A&D Fx120i with dandy powder trickler as my final measurement tool which is after I throw initial charge on chargemaster. My standard is each load has to be within .02 gr of each other which is normally a kernal or in some powders half a kernal. Is this to analytical for standard loads? I mean I know it depends on each guns purpose but personally I treat all guns the same whether a plinker for steel at 1k or straight BR gun that has full weight sorted brass, primers, bullets etc. just wondering views from others! Thanks
2ED989E8-064B-4316-84B7-8738AB07F8E6.jpeg

I use the Lee dipper spoons to get the bulk of my powder . I'm usually within a few kernels of powder . I either dip a few out or add a couple to get to my desired weight . I also have a dandy trickler , but I've kind of got away from using it . I weigh my powder to the exact weight to + a kernel . I catch myself looking for a small , or big kernel . I know it sounds dumb but , I load everything like this .

edit to add .
what's the accuracy like on the chargemaster ? I've never used one .

Last edited:
I use the Lee dipper spoons to get the bulk of my powder . I'm usually within a few kernels of powder . I either dip a few out or add a couple to get to my desired weight . I also have a dandy trickler , but I've kind of got away from using it . I weigh my powder to the exact weight to + a kernel . I catch myself looking for a small , or big kernel . I know it sounds dumb but , I load everything like this .

edit to add .
what's the accuracy like on the chargemaster ? I've never used one .
What do u weight on? I mean the chargemaster seems to meet that +\- .1 so spread can be up to around .2 which to me is not good enough. U are talking maybe 6-7 kernal spread which from what I have seen a good average is 3 FPS per kernal so there is a ES or 18-21 or so right there if everything else in your brass is legit and g2g. Seems to much for me.

I use 2 chargemasters. I used to reweigh each load on a beam scale as well but never noticed large enough differences that I was concerned. I plan to make the plunge into the Autotrickler V3. But I am sure I will still use my chargemasters for the other ppl I load for and for plinking.

Pretty much have same set up as Remmy. Program Chargemaster 0.2g light, move tray over to FX and trickle to +/- 0.02. I think I have the older Chargemaster but works great up to withen 0.2g. Problem is when it's trying to bump that last 0.1g it will drop too much and go over but reads it hasn't. Scale tolerances no where near the FX.

First of all I'm a hunter, rock killer, paper puncher. Never shot in any kind of competition. I use a charge master, beam scale and a powder trickler. Basically in that order. I want them all exact, but not to the point that one kernel is a make or break deal. My loads are usually within 20 fps of each other. I've reloaded for years but thanks to this site I think I'm a more consistent reloader. Still have improvements to make and continue to work on it.

What do u weight on? I mean the chargemaster seems to meet that +\- .1 so spread can be up to around .2 which to me is not good enough. U are talking maybe 6-7 kernal spread which from what I have seen a good average is 3 FPS per kernal so there is a ES or 18-21 or so right there if everything else in your brass is legit and g2g. Seems to much for me.

I use an FX120i scale .

I use a Chargemaster Light and check it against an old 505 beam balance. The Chargemaster Light usually throws a "tiny bit" light (fractions of a tenth) but it's consistent, so no worries w/ ES usually 20 FPS or less. Now, If I could just remember to close the dump port after draining the powder from the previous charging session, so I could stop spilling Varget and RL-15 all over my bench!

I use a Chargemaster Light and check it against an old 505 beam balance. The Chargemaster Light usually throws a "tiny bit" light (fractions of a tenth) but it's consistent, so no worries w/ ES usually 20 FPS or less. Now, If I could just remember to close the dump port after draining the powder from the previous charging session, so I could stop spilling Varget and RL-15 all over my bench!
I think we've all done that!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.