What are the signs of erector failure in a scope?

Dissolve in water, pour over scope tube.
If it starts to track properly, you have erector failure.
20200805_212824.jpg

Shot a 195-12x at 600 yard match. This is the next 2 sighters and 20 hits on target as scope literally starting falling apart. Sent it in (free lifetime warranty) and when I called to check on repair status, they simply said "We looked at it, and we going to send you a new scope).

Attachments

• IMG_3561.PNG
    IMG_3561.PNG
    52.1 KB · Views: 145
Shot a 195-12x at 600 yard match. This is the next 2 sighters and 20 hits on target as scope literally starting falling apart. Sent it in (free lifetime warranty) and when I called to check on repair status, they simply said "We looked at it, and we going to send you a new scope).
What brand scope?

My 'scope leveler' is the cable my big bird feeder hangs from in the front yard. Perfect as a Plumb as long as the wind cooperates ;)

The big issue with the Weaver band rings is that as you tighten the screws, which are only on one side, the scope rolls in the rings. So, you start off level and the scope rolls to the side with the screws as you tighten those screws.

You have to figure out how much cant you preload the scope with to end up with the scope level after the screws have been tightened.

It takes a couple of iterations to get it right.

you are right they can be a pain but once they are right and tight they dont move not to attractive looking though

My 'scope leveler' is the cable my big bird feeder hangs from in the front yard. Perfect as a Plumb as long as the wind cooperates ;)
I have a 6x6 fence post out the back porch that is level. This method works as long as your reticle isn't canted and it tracks true. Do a tall target test after to confirm.

I'll check that to the best of my ability tonight.

I use a PAST shoulder pad when I'm going to run that many rounds down the tube in either of these rifles. It makes a huge difference and keeps the flinch away (well, at least most of it).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C5XOJQ/?tag=lrhmag19-20
I had a 6.5 x 20 leupold on a 308 Norma Mag. I was working up a load for that rifle. Next thing I noted that I was hitting to the right and would continue to move to the right as I shot groups of 5 shots. Finally figure out the scope wasn't holding it's zero. Replaced the scope with a 3.5 x 10 leupold and ended that problem. Sent in the scope and they corrected the problem. No Charge either. I had scopes that wouldn't adjust. I seen new scopes (not leupold) coming of a box that didn't work either. I use mostly leupold scopes and it seem that when set up the scope to zero at 100 yds that the adjustment doesn't move until after a round is fired from the rifle then it corrects. I start out with bore sighting @ 25 yds. Then shot @ 25 yds, then go to 100 yds. I have tap the scope with an empty shell case and that doesn't seem to help much either. I put another round down range checking the round placement on the target.

SSS

with all my Leupold scopes I always go 2-3 clicks past where I want to be then rotate back, works every time.I have only had one scope go bad 25 years ago and they corrected it and it is still working, good luck

I have 4 that went bad during shooting sessions over the last 30 years. Unable to track. If I went down or up, they would track way off in elevation and windage. Probably from under a 1" to 5" in all directions.
I always switched the suspect scope out for a fixed 6 power Busnell (lol....) to test it. It would tell the truth regardless.
On a couple of occasions I had another shooter to confirm.
It just happens that way sometimes.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.