What ammo are you guys running in your 22 LR rifles at distance

I don't know about long range ammo but I learned a long time ago when shooting pistol bullseye to not over look standard plain Jane ammo. I was shooting the high price "target" ammo for matches but I was practicing with what ever was the cheapest I could find. One day I went into a box store that was going out of business in my area and they had PMC Zapper for fifty cents a box. I bought all they had, about 10 bricks. Next practice time low and behold that stuff was some of the most accurate ammo I have ever shot. I also have found that in some of my 22s the Remington Thunderbolt is also very accurate. Longest distance I have shot it out of my 14" T/C Contender pistol is 175 yards but once I got where my hold should be a 4" round steel was no problem to hit.

I don't know about long range ammo but I learned a long time ago when shooting pistol bullseye to not over look standard plain Jane ammo. I was shooting the high price "target" ammo for matches but I was practicing with what ever was the cheapest I could find. One day I went into a box store that was going out of business in my area and they had PMC Zapper for fifty cents a box. I bought all they had, about 10 bricks. Next practice time low and behold that stuff was some of the most accurate ammo I have ever shot. I also have found that in some of my 22s the Remington Thunderbolt is also very accurate. Longest distance I have shot it out of my 14" T/C Contender pistol is 175 yards but once I got where my hold should be a 4" round steel was no problem to hit.
I've shot every cheap ammo by a the tens of thousands and you can normally find a couple kinds that will shoot well to that 100yd range. I've found when you start pushing into the 200-400 yd range the cheap ammo vertical dispersion really gets wild. I've also found if you shoot 10round groups with cheap ammo, 8/10 is good, but you will have occasional flyers vs good match ammo that will make the same size of group with 10shots vs the 8/10 shots

Interestingly, While I use match grade ammo for rimfire competition that can stretch out past 300 yards, my practical range for LR hunting of smaller game and pests mostly occurs at 200 yards, more likely 75-150 yards. Interestingly, my go-to ammo for this work has the promo grade Remington Golden 22 HP's. For the last several years, used in my Savage rimfires, the 500ct boxes have been, cost effective, exceptionally consistent, and work quite well on smaller game.
996A6F04-E3A6-4126-AD10-5E6CD375A4DF.jpeg

Interestingly, While I use match grade ammo for rimfire competition that can stretch out past 300 yards, my practical range for LR hunting of smaller game and pests mostly occurs at 200 yards, more likely 75-150 yards. Interestingly, my go-to ammo for this work has the promo grade Remington Golden 22 HP's. For the last several years, used in my Savage rimfires, the 500ct boxes have been, cost effective, exceptionally consistent, and work quite well on smaller game.
View attachment 143181
For lr 22 hunting, federal makes a hunter match ammo, very good stuff, shoots as well as eley match and edge ammo.
Winchester triple packs, ex 555 have a little bigger hollowpoint, pop varmints a little more than the rem buckets and shoot basically identically in terms of velocity and bullet weight

A while back when 22 ammo was hard to get because people were hording HUGE AMOUNTS and the ammo makers were running a hard as they could to make it quality control suffered on some of the plain Jane ammo. I am a handgun instructor and help team teach with other instructors the handgun carry permit class for my state through our hunting and fishing association. We actually teach people how to shoot and we have them bring 22 ammo and use our Ruger target pistols to learn with. Some of the ammo was terrible. We had some Winchester that had a bunch of misfires and Remington golden HP that came in the 100 packs had misfeed problems because the bullets themselves were just a hair too large in diameter and then some that had to have had two charges of primer in them. They blew the backs off the case and even damaged the extractor on one of our pistols. I know that the Remington was most likely from the same lot, at least the last two boxes that had trouble was and because it all came from the local WalMart. We notified Remington but never heard anything back from them.

Not the most accurate in my 10-22, but pretty good for cheap practice stuff. Just federal target. It really liked the Remington Eley target from years ago. (.5" at 200yds) I haven't tried any of the new long range stuff with it.

20rds in around 15sec of fed target at 50m.
20170114_124204.jpg

I have tried many different brands and found that generally ammo with 40+ grain lead bullets worked in my rifles. Jacketed bullets were not as accurate. (The lead bullets seem to engrave the rifling better)

The RWS seems to be the best in most of my rifles. Some of it is very expensive but until you try the different ones you won't know what is best in your rifle. I have a T Bolt Browning that shoots the cheap Remington target better than all of the expensive brands of ammo (Nice).

I also tried the 60 grain subsonic ammo and found the accuracy poor in my rifles. The only thing I found consistently was that the lead bullets out performed all of the jacketed bullets for accuracy. We shot 200 yard steel targets and you needed at least 40 grain bullet to knock them down at that distance.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM
Prettty much same here

I was shooting the CCI Green Tag ( the best shooting match ammo I could finf) at a match at our gun range and lost to the guy next to me. I noticed an odd looking ammo box on his bench and asked him what brand ammo he was shooting. He was shooting SK Standard plus. Several other shooters were also shooting the same brand. He gave me a box, which he said only cost $6 per box. I tried them in my Remington 541T and they outshot any ammo I had tried, and I've tried them all. I believe they are made by Wolf Ammo. You should give them a try. Link below

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2577141120

I've used Remington sub sonics for years out of my savage have had very consistent velocities but we're hard to get for several years lots of dead squirrels with them also. David

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.