What am I seeing in my barrel?

Thanks - I'll look into this further. I'm looking for a light 2 - 10 or 3-9 for a light hunting rifle, and this might be an option.

Maven's rs2 is a great option. It's what I have on my personal rifle. It's a 2.5-10, I think it weighs 11ish ounces, it holds zero, the glass is great, and the turrets track very well. The only downside is the eye relief is shorter than a comparable Leupold. But I love it. You can probably find a used one for $400-450

Maven's rs2 is a great option. It's what I have on my personal rifle. It's a 2.5-10, I think it weighs 11ish ounces, it holds zero, the glass is great, and the turrets track very well. The only downside is the eye relief is shorter than a comparable Leupold. But I love it. You can probably find a used one for $400-450

Thanks - I'll look it up.

I hope to get few opinions on these pictures I took with my Teslong. It seems to me there is no smooth transition from the free bore to the beginning of the lands and groves. Actually it looks like there is a lip or a ridge. Should I be concerned and go back to a gunsmith? The rifle shoots well, but I would like to do more load development and want to be sure it is safe.

Attachments

• 451EE1B0-62AE-4C55-98A0-3AF361667432.png
    451EE1B0-62AE-4C55-98A0-3AF361667432.png
    220.1 KB · Views: 187
  • 8ABC1659-0173-436A-BCFC-5695A1392479.jpeg
    8ABC1659-0173-436A-BCFC-5695A1392479.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 184
I hope to get few opinions on these pictures I took with my Teslong. It seems to me there is no smooth transition from the free bore to the beginning of the lands and groves. Actually it looks like there is a lip or a ridge. Should I be concerned and go back to a gunsmith? The rifle shoots well, but I would like to do more load development and want to be sure it is safe.

That looks like the end of the chamber neck. If it shoots, there's no reason to worry!

Sorry! Actually you are correct Ryan, it is the end of the chamber neck. I have loaded an empty cartridge and scoped it... still I don't like the cracks along the edges, hope it does not get any worse.
Thank you for your response.

I shot with the swfa ultralight scope yesterday on the savage axis. Yes I do like the scope! It does have a small eyebox and slightly short eye relief, but if your shooting form isn't terrible and it's not on a high recoil gun I don't think it would be a problem.

The image resolution is very good in comparison with my Maven rs2. The turrets are crisp and track correctly...at least they do for sighting in. I didn't do a proper tracking test.

Interesting about the swfa let us know how it keeps preforming for you as it's used more please and thank you

The savage axis doesn't seem to want to shoot anymore though. Of the two best charges, the better one was about 2 moa for 10 shots, cool or slightly warm barrel.

It once upon a time shot around 1moa with the occasional flier with Hornady reduced recoil loads and a reduced recoil handload. I haven't been able to get it to do that for at least 150-200 rounds. I checked the bolt lugs awhile back and there is very uneven contact. Then the muzzle/crown pitting just looks awful.

It's less than a year old so it would still be in warranty, but I'm not sure if savage would do anything about that muzzle. If it is defective steel, I would hope so. Or, I could just shortcut all of that and replace it with a Tikka since I eventually wanted to do that anyway

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts