What am I seeing in my barrel?

I've got ten each of rhe best two charges from my last bit of load testing for the savage loaded up. I cleaned the weird slag out if the recoil lug slot area and I also have a new swfa scope arriving tomorrow to mount on it to replace the $70 bushnell it came with. We'll see how it does this week. If it's within 1.5ish moa, I think that'd be good for my kids for this year. I think they'll only shoot to 150-200

It's interesting to see all of the tooling chatter marks in the Savage . I'm not afraid to use a bronze brush , but like anything else you shouldn't over use them . I have seen some barrels ruined with people trying to get them too clean and over using J B or ammonia based cleaners . Keep in mind that bronze makes your copper remover show copper signs if you use a bronze brush . Carbon is an 8 or 9 on the hardness scale and a lot of solvents won't even start to soften it up for removal and like so many other things a small amount of it will cause more to build up faster by catching more of it then a smooth surface . Over all it looks like you are doing pretty well with your cleaning procedures . With the barrel steel being so much harder then the bullets and other things you put down your barrels , except grit in say JB or Tubbs fire forming rounds it will take some time for the Savage to smooth out and speed up .
Welcome to the world of savage button rifling!
Kinda makes you want to throw up just to look at it up close.
The first time I looked at a Savage rifle barrel through my Lyman borescope I wondered what the hell was going on with all that chatter that I saw.
I even wondered if the rifle would even shoot straight.
To that end, I called Savage Customer Service and was told that this is the norm, and don't overly con yourself about it.
After firing off 50 - 100 rounds you will remove any high spots in the rifling and your accuracy will improve. (Well yes they were right )

I kept running that borescope up and down my barrel in disbelief.

After the prescribed barrel break in my rifles eventually settled in...
OBTW at last count, I own close to a dozen Savage Rifles
Precautionary note:
Don't close the door on the safe as (Savage Rifles) breed like crazy
Ha Ha!

Last edited:
Well the new borescope just arrived. Took a couple pics of the barrel on my Marlin 45-70. Rifle has maybe 30 rounds through it. More button rifling leftovers?
Other than this, the new toy is kinda fun. I will have to do a more detailed job cleaning my ears though.........

Attachments

• WIN_20200810_16_35_09_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200810_16_35_09_Pro.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 135
  • WIN_20200810_16_35_22_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200810_16_35_22_Pro.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 151
Well the new borescope just arrived. Took a couple pics of the barrel on my Marlin 45-70. Rifle has maybe 30 rounds through it. More button rifling leftovers?
Other than this, the new toy is kinda fun. I will have to do a more detailed job cleaning my ears though.........

I think that looks like oil droplets, maybe .

Prior to pics I cleaned the barrel and flushed it with break cleaner. Then ran several dry patches through it. I'll give it another go, but I'd be surprised if there were any oil left in it. Thank you for the input. I'm hoping to learn something.

You guys are good! Several dry patches later, the spots are gone. Only thing I can find is the small mark in the pic. Guessing it happened during the crowning of the barrel as it's about 1/4" inside the muzzle. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• WIN_20200810_20_02_56_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200810_20_02_56_Pro.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 140
I've got ten each of rhe best two charges from my last bit of load testing for the savage loaded up. I cleaned the weird slag out if the recoil lug slot area and I also have a new swfa scope arriving tomorrow to mount on it to replace the $70 bushnell it came with. We'll see how it does this week. If it's within 1.5ish moa, I think that'd be good for my kids for this year. I think they'll only shoot to 150-200

Let us know how you like the SWFA scope. What model is it ?

When you polish metal well and have the micro structure sealed so that the oil ect. doesn't penetrate into it it's amazing what will set on the surface of it .

They used to be made by the same Japanese company that made Tasco scopes back when they were trying to get a Navy contract at NAD Crain Indiana .

That's the one I was looking at. I'm interested in seeing how you like it, and why. Do you know who makes their scopes ? I don't know much about them.

I don't remember the manufacturer, but I believe I've heard they bought the rights from tasco a long time ago, or something like that. They apparently have incredible quality specs at that manufacturer and are often said to be close to nightforce reliability. But of course the glass isn't that of a high end Leupold or similar.

I decided to opt for reliability, durability, and good tracking. For the price, I think it's a GREAT deal.

I don't remember the manufacturer, but I believe I've heard they bought the rights from tasco a long time ago, or something like that. They apparently have incredible quality specs at that manufacturer and are often said to be close to nightforce reliability. But of course the glass isn't that of a high end Leupold or similar.

I decided to opt for reliability, durability, and good tracking. For the price, I think it's a GREAT deal.
Thanks - I'll look into this further. I'm looking for a light 2 - 10 or 3-9 for a light hunting rifle, and this might be an option.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts