What am I doing wrong??

Have u tried shooting it prone? I've heard of folks getting poor results from shooting bipod on a bench. I'd also not get too out of sorts until you start rolling your own ammo. When I set my base and rings up on a rig, I always use a little dab of medium grade loctite on the screws when I snug them up on base and scope rings. and when I "snug" them up, I'm not using gorilla strength hands either. Just good and tight. This method has worked for me on everything even my 300 Win Mag.

If your running a vortex I suggets you buy an inch pound torque wrench like the wheeler fat wrench. Call Vortex. They will tell you how sensitive their scopes are to ring torque. You cant just tighten them down or they will not track right and not return to zero.

Many good recommendations here regarding scope/mounts but as Bravo4 suggested barrel heating can definitely cause the point of impact to shift especially with a light barrel. Your barrel with a muzzle diameter of 0.65" will heat very quickly with a RUM. I usually shoot a two shot group with my 300 RUM, make any adjustment needed and don't shoot it again until the next day. Takes a lot of time but it is the only way I know of to get a good cold bore sight in.

Many good recommendations here regarding scope/mounts but as Bravo4 suggested barrel heating can definitely cause the point of impact to shift especially with a light barrel. Your barrel with a muzzle diameter of 0.65" will heat very quickly with a RUM. I usually shoot a two shot group with my 300 RUM, make any adjustment needed and don't shoot it again until the next day. Takes a lot of time but it is the only way I know of to get a good cold bore sight in.

Im thinking this might be the problem. I did let it cool a couple of minutes between shots but being 90 degrees outside when I shot I don't think it was enough.

I am going to pick up a torque wrench within the next couple of days and go over all the screws to make sure they are all set up correctly.

I will shoot a group low and to the right and then correct for it, get one in the center and then the rest end up being high and to the left. What am I doing wrong because I doubt it is the gun; the people I bought it from sent me a three shot group which was sub-moa.

I'm trying to get a mental image of what is happening. Based off your original post it sounds like you made a correction to the point of impact of your first 3 rounds, the first shot of the 2nd group hit point of aim and the other two shots were high and left but grouped together.

Got a few questions if this is the case:
Do all your groups put the first round (cold bore) into your point of aim and then the other two into another spot?
If so, is it consistent? By that I mean in the same spot compared to the cold bore shot (high and left) and if so are they in a nice group together.
Or is it just flinging rounds all over a dang place?
How many groups have you fired with that ammo?
Is this the only ammo you have tried in this gun?
And to ask the same question I asked earlier, is this the EXACT same load they shot and sent you the target? If not, even though its been a while, try to find out what ammo (load) they shot to make it shoot so well.

Here's why I am asking these questions? I'm assuming this is the only load you have tried in this rifle. Custom or not, it may not like the ammo you are running through it. Try another load, I would send you some 300 RUM factory loads but I just gave away all I had.
If you have everything mounted correctly and the problem persists, try a proven scope. If that doesn't work try another type of ammo (or load).

And take a picture of the target if you can to post. That can go a long way.

Im thinking this might be the problem. I did let it cool a couple of minutes between shots but being 90 degrees outside when I shot I don't think it was enough.

Unless you were letting the rifle "cool" in direct sunlight I think a couple minutes between rounds would be enough. Maybe borderline in really hot weather but enough. Try touching the barrel between shots, if it's too hot to handle comfortably than it's too hot.

I don't wait until the next day as I don't have that much time. But I bring a small fan with me to the range and set it up so air blows through the barrel. Takes about 10-20 minutes for the barrel to cool, depending on how warm it is outside. But it works!

I'm trying to get a mental image of what is happening. Based off your original post it sounds like you made a correction to the point of impact of your first 3 rounds, the first shot of the 2nd group hit point of aim and the other two shots were high and left but grouped together.

Got a few questions if this is the case:
Do all your groups put the first round (cold bore) into your point of aim and then the other two into another spot?
If so, is it consistent? By that I mean in the same spot compared to the cold bore shot (high and left) and if so are they in a nice group together.
Or is it just flinging rounds all over a dang place?
How many groups have you fired with that ammo?
Is this the only ammo you have tried in this gun?
And to ask the same question I asked earlier, is this the EXACT same load they shot and sent you the target? If not, even though its been a while, try to find out what ammo (load) they shot to make it shoot so well.

Here's why I am asking these questions? I'm assuming this is the only load you have tried in this rifle. Custom or not, it may not like the ammo you are running through it. Try another load, I would send you some 300 RUM factory loads but I just gave away all I had.
If you have everything mounted correctly and the problem persists, try a proven scope. If that doesn't work try another type of ammo (or load).

And take a picture of the target if you can to post. That can go a long way.

This is not the same load they used when testing and is the only one I have tried. I will be trying to replicate the load they used with the loads I will be building soon.

I was trying to sight in the rifle so this is what I did, the first three round were to get on paper at 100 yards, the next 2-3 rounds where low and to the right, I made some adjustments to the scope and the next shot was dead center, I shot again and it hit high and to the left for the next 2-3 shots.

After this I only had a couple of rounds left but the same thing kept happening, but all the groups were about 1-2 inches and all the shots were inside 6-7 inches.

I have a rem 700 300wm I was having the same issue. Every time I adjust the scope the rounds went somewhere else (1.5-2 moa). The problem was, the cleaner I was using didn't clean out copper. My barrel was fouled out. I bought some batches bore shine and my groups at a 100 went from 1.5 to .5 or less.

Just a possibility.

I have a rem 700 300wm I was having the same issue. Every time I adjust the scope the rounds went somewhere else (1.5-2 moa). The problem was, the cleaner I was using didn't clean out copper. My barrel was fouled out. I bought some batches bore shine and my groups at a 100 went from 1.5 to .5 or less.

Just a possibility.

I was actually thinking the exact same thing today, I haven't shot more than 20 rounds through it so never even considered it but I don't have much to lose giving it a try.

I would call redhawk before tightening any action screws. Try and explain what issues you have and I guarantee he will have a load off the top of his head that will shoot. Vortex scopes dont like much more than 12 lbs on rings in my experience. Redhawk has some of the best customer service in the industry, even if you never purchase a thing from them.

So I was finally able to get back to the range and although i cannot single out what the culprit was, I was able to get a very decent group and sight in my rifle. I do not know if it was mental, physical or my rifle and components but I tried a little of everything suggested. I reloaded some Barnes LRX, cleaned the barrel, read the basics of marksmanship, bought a fat wrench to go over all the screws and even practiced dry firing with some snap caps but it worked.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.