What am I doing wrong with sizing brass?

[

My apologies, I assumed you thought the two brands of gauges were the same. My Hornady gauges will not pass a bullet, maybe they changed them since I bought mine.

Check the Concentricity of the loaded round. With VLD long bullets the Ogive may be touching the the case gauge wall preventing it from gravity seating.
I better understand your question now. If the concentricity is off the bullet could be contacting the side of the gage where the bullet passes through. So I need another tool to check. The tool collection continues to grow. This seems to make a lot of sense as when I seated the bullet deeper most of the issue with the gage disappeared. Thanks again.

If you do run a crimp , I've found that the Lee factory crimp die works very well. Adjust your seat/crimp die so you only seat , then do the crimp separately. I ran into this before with my 300wsm. it was very slight , still chambered but wouldn't run through case gauge.

This is not a problem as long as the round chamber easily. Least you forget the case gage is for the case only (just like it says). When you seat a bullet the case neck will expand to hold the bullet with sufficient tension. In other words, the inside the case mouth is a slightly smaller diameter than the bullet itself.
Again, if it chambers and there is no signs of pressure you're good to go.

If it chambers you don't have an issue. These are made to SAAMI specs. Your chamber may be a little tighter depending on reamer. Use a headspace comparator on your fired rounds then give it a little bump(.002-.003) with over cam on press with full-size die. If you load with consistency and it does chamber don't second guess yourself....by way, I guarantee factory ammo will seat fine in your case gauge. This occurs with many of us

For give me if I missed it. And not to hijack the thread. If the fired case doesn't let a bullet pass easily what does that mean or how do you correct it?

For give me if I missed it. And not to hijack the thread. If the fired case doesn't let a bullet pass easily what does that mean or how do you correct it?
It means the neck of the gun and the thickness of the case neck are not compatible. The neck of the case should expand enough to release the bullet and still be large enough after firing that the bullet slides in and out easily before the neck is resized. U see these tight necks on bench rest guns so you can reload without sizing the neck back down but they are a bad idea on a hunting gun or any rig where the brass is not turned to exactly the same thickness for all cases. You can end up with really excess pressure if the neck is too tight.

The reason why I ask is I have a factory 7rm that the bullet has some resistance in fired brass vs a custom .284 the bullets slides easily without friction.
Thanks and I assume I should turn necks for this rifle to increase accuracy. Rifle is a win mod 70 classic super grade. Tried rem wind and fed brass. All same some resistance.

Last edited:
The reason why I ask is I have a factory 7rm that the bullet has some resistance in fired brass vs a custom .284 the bullets slides easily without friction.
Thanks and I assume I should turn necks for this rifle to increase accuracy. Rifle is a win mod 70 classic super grade. Tried rem wind and fed brass. All same some resistance.

if your bullet slides in easily you have enough clearance . if your bullet has resistance you could still have enough clearance .
your best would be get the chamber neck measured . if you get to much clearance , you would be over working your brass . I think you should be able to use pin gauges to measure the neck diameter . you can buy cerrosafe and make a casting . although I don't like the thoughts of putting that stuff in my chamber . before I had pin gauges I needed to measure the chamber neck on my one rifle . I used a cast lead pistol bullet . I think I ground down the bullet a little to get it close to my size . then I gently tapped it in to place . I bumped it back out and measured it . here are a couple pics of the lead plug I made .

Attachments

• P9200959.JPG
    P9200959.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 117
  • P9200960.JPG
    P9200960.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 110
I suggest you use a black Magic Marker coating all of a cartridge, let it dry then chamber it closing the bolt.

Eject the cartridge then see where the dye got rubbed or scraped off. Those places show where the cartridge is too big for the chamber