What all-around rifle for predator hunting?

Hotwheels

I would like to hunt raccoons, fox, and coyotes. What caliber would work for all of these animals without destroying the hides? I have not hunted predators before but would like to try. I have a 22 long rifle and a 7.62 x54r, but I would think the 7.62x54r would be to big. I don't know if the 22 would work? Thanks for any info you would share.

22 magnum will work as long as shot placement is correct, which may limit range to under 100 yds. 22 Hornet would give you greater range and better terminal effects with a large variety of bullets. if you handload, you can load 22Hornet down to nearly 22 magnum speeds.

Savage 25 or 40 rifles in 22 Hornet as tack drivers.

Buy a .223 Rem.

What he said! Couldn't do better for effective, efficient, and inexpensive. I've found the rimfires sometimes leave me hunting the critter. Centerfires put the lights out quick. Pick the right bullet and you won't damage pelts.

If you don't care about BIG holes in the pelts then the 7 SAUM with 180 Berger Hybrids does the trick. I haven't had a coyote make it more than a step with up to a softball sized hole. gun)

There are a number of different cartridges that are fine for shooting varmints preditors out to 300 yards. A accurate 17 Fireball , 17 Rem, 204 Ruger, 223 Rem, and 22-250 Rem rifles with top quality scope will work. For some the 17 Fireball may be a bit under powered and the 22-250 a bit over powered. If most all of your shots will be under 150 yards take a look at the 221 Fireball. I live in the wide open country and like the 204 Ruger round but have used a number of different varmint cartridges.

The 223 with a 60gr Nos bullet will work on your dogs and not do damage to the hides.....
For most shooting the 52gr to the 55gr bullets will out to 300 yards.and are very effective.
Loading H335 for most loads in a couple of different 223's with great groups. The brass is
Win and mainly 205M and CCI 400.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts