what advantage is gained by spiral fluting of bolt

ctw

Weatherby this last year has brought out the markv with the spiral fluting on their bolt actions,and I was wondering to what advantage is there to be gained over their straight bolt. I thought that I would no doubt get the answer I was looking for on the gunsmithing section. I tried using the q search but nothing came up. If this has been covered before on here I apologize.ctw

I heard it was suppose to help bolt not freeze up to action.Probably have to be on polar bear hunt to test.I had friends with firing pin freeze and not shoot.The guy was looking at 3 6 pts in tough country,tried under arm,bulls left.That was a mark 5 action,he got rid of it and never used again.I hunted all same stuff as he with mine and only problem I had fell on rifle and bolt was locked shut,with saftey

As stated, It looks good/custom. In some cases it does help to clear fouling that may get in the action and could prevent normal operation. Snow and ice are the main reasons for doing it Some say dirt is another reason but that should not be a problem because it can be prevented. In severe conditions snow and ice may not be and have to be dealt with. The main advantage is its ability to clear debris of any kind by allowing a place for it to go that wont interfere with the operation of the bolt.

It is the same principal as the loose fit of parts for self defense weapons with out hindering quality and fit.

J E CUSTOM

On the Savage Light Weight Hunter it makes the bolt pull rough and scratchy feeling. This was pointed out in two reviews.
I don't like fluted bolts because I can usually feel it clunking over the cartridges in the magazine. I attempted to get someone in the bolt fluting business to design a fluting pattern that would leave a smooth path above the magazine, they weren't interested. There is at least one custom action maker that does flute their bolts that way.

I don't like fluted bolts because I can usually feel it clunking over the cartridges in the magazine. I attempted to get someone in the bolt fluting business to design a fluting pattern that would leave a smooth path above the magazine, they weren't interested. There is at least one custom action maker that does flute their bolts that way.
Kampfeld customs has a wrought iron type and it won't scratch up cartridges in the mag. He also does one with no flutes on the bottom to help with this

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.