what action for 338 cheytac

There are a couple good choices of actions for the Chey-Tac size cartridge. I prefer the 338-408 over the 375-408 simply because of bullet selection. I have a 338-408 and am more than happy with it's performance. My list of actions in order of preference.

Stiller TAC408
BAT model M or L
Barnard P-Chey
Lawton 8000 or 8500

Thanks for the advice Kevin , I can't wait to shoot that edge.that your building for me.. We will half to talk about the 338-408 . I get that edge paid for ,then proubly have to jump right back into another. Build.

Kevin,

I am having 338 AM being built right now by Kirby on a BAT action. Just curious why you said you prefer the Stiller action over the BAT??

Nothing against the BAT it's great action. Their tolerances are so tight which makes the action smooth as silk but if the Chey_Tac is used as a hunting rifle and a little bit of dirt gets in the action it can lock it up. I was out 2 years ago and got caught in some drizzle and freezing rain before I could get my gun covered up. Some water got on the bolt and ran down into the bolt bore and froze fast locking the bolt fast for a bit until we got it warmed up and cleaned out.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.