What about the donkeys?

My Dad was stationed in Italy toward the end of WWII and he ate horse meat a number of times. He wasn't a gourmand but he said it was quite good.

l remember a really old tv ad for Alpo Dog Food saying, ''Alpo is made from 100% pure U S Government inspected Horse Meat''.
These wild horses/donkeys/burros are really an INVASIVE species. l remember reading older nature articles growing up ''Pre Tree Hugger Days''. Talking about the damage to the prairies of the American West.
l have often wondered what life on the Plains lndians was really like BEFORE the horse. l dont think l have ever read or heard mention how it was on the Plains in PRE HORSE AMERICA

l remember a really old tv ad for Alpo Dog Food saying, ''Alpo is made from 100% pure U S Government inspected Horse Meat''.
These wild horses/donkeys/burros are really an INVASIVE species. l remember reading older nature articles growing up ''Pre Tree Hugger Days''. Talking about the damage to the prairies of the American West.
l have often wondered what life on the Plains lndians was really like BEFORE the horse. l dont think l have ever read or heard mention how it was on the Plains in PRE HORSE AMERICA
The native peoples of this part of the world walked and ran quite a bit, in their new running shoes from Japan. They also rode 4-wheelers and drove side by sides. 4-wheel drive trucks had yet to be brought to the western plains people. They were very grateful to learn that they could catch a wild mustang and ride it until it dropped from exhaustion, and then eat it. Obesity was not a problem back in those days so horses could run a long way. Dinner was often a long walk away and late being served. Glue was invented back then, too. Tree Huggers were mostly hanged from a tree they coveted. But life was good until the White man showed up and ruined it all with gunpowder.

Different parts of the world eat thing differently. In India they don't eat cattle.

Well, they don't know what they are missing.

Horse, Donkey , Zebra . Maybe I could bit I'm not looking to buy any.

I could Hunt, eradicate or manage all of the above. They don't wet my appetite.

Dogs, cats , armadillo, anything exotic Yuck.

I've eaten Venison, some African game but that's game meat.

I've eaten Kangaroo and Goat, but I live in Australia.

Bats, snakes cats and dogs should not be on the menu. Who knows what could happen.

Uncle Dewey wanted to stay in Australia after being stationed there during WWll. Said they were pretty smart folks with pretty girls.
Apparently so when it comes to feral horses (Brumbys) and Camels too. They shoot and harvest BOTH, getting paid on top of that. lt seems both Camel and Brumby parts are in demand all over the world. Europeans eat both camel and horse meat. Having spent a bit of time in Asia l can say those folks eat just about ANYTHING, esp China. l remember seeing Camel on a menu at Applebees in Kuwait 2003-2004 during little dubya's war. l passed, wish now l hadn't.

Last edited:
I bought a pack of Camel Jerky in Alice Springs. I wasn't excited by it. But I have eaten it.

I might have the opportunity to shoot camel sometime. I have a freind who wants to butcher one. I've had access to the property before shooting Dingoes but haven't been out where the camel are.

Kind of sounds like my wife. If it doesn't come from the market, she won't eat it. Some people don't have a clue, and that's to bad. As I tell most people, you can me anything, but don't call me late to the dinner table, that will make me mad.

Recent Posts