What about Burris "Black Diamond"?

R-WEST

Gents -
I'm looking at Burris' Black Diamond 8 - 32 x 50. It's a 30 mm tube with 110" of elevation adjustment.

Any yays or nays?

Thanx,

R-WEST

R-West ,

I have the signature series.. 6-24.. WOW it is only a 1" tube but the clarity and brightness are unbelievable. I am more than happy and Impressed with it. The Black Diamond series is supposed to be the "top of the line series" and I have heard nothing but good stuff about them...

Very clear optics. They're among the best. The scope is very bulky and heavy though. Looks like a German handgrenade... probably weighs as much as one too....

CatShooter -

You are correct. I should have checked it out better.

I'll be using Leupold's LR bases which offer 20 MOA, if I remember correctly. The rifle is a 300RUM w/30" barrel, and we're figuring on 220MK's at 3000 FPS.

I'm open to other choices. Does a Leupold or Nikon offer more adjustment?

Seems pretty stupid of them to offer what is obviously a LR scope without much elevation adjustment, doesn't it?

Thanx,

R-WEST

[ 03-13-2002: Message edited by: R-WEST ]

R-WEST....The Leupold LR scope's have 72 MOA of up adjustment....My Nikon's have 38 Moa....With the Burris ring's and the Long range base.I can still get to 1300 yard's with the nikon....

Gonna throw in somthing else to the mix..

Yup you guessed it .. how about a nightforce?

I'm not sure what your budget is but many reticle styles all illuminated and way more adjustment than needed....

Boyd - So the Black Diamond should work to roughly the same range as the Nikons ? What about the Leupolds? Do you use them? Are they 30MM or 1"? (Told you I'd wear you out with questions).

*WyoWhisper* - Nightforce. Don't know anything about them. I'm guessing they're pricey. How many $$ can you get tied up in one? Are they worth it?

One other thing. Most scope mfrs suggest starting out with the windage/elevation adjustments as close to the center of their travel as possible. Using the Nikon/Black Diamond, it looks like we'll try to start out with the elevation adjustment the whole way at the bottom. Does that cause any problems with the reticle being off-center?

R-WEST

R-West, Some of the Leupold Long Range Vari-X III's only have 65 moa of adjustment. I have the Leupold LR M3 on my Armalite AR10T and I only have enough adjustment to get to about 800 meters without a 20 MOA base. I think the high power models (6-20x) have 72 MOA. The LR M1 has even more. The LR models do have 30mm tubes.

The standard Vari-X III's don't have 30mm tubes or the side focus. They also have less elevation adjustment.

OK, Lets see with 39 MOA, 20 MOA base, and the Burris 10 MOA(?) rings you've got 69 MOA. That's may or may not be enough depending on your zero and the distance you want to shoot.

The LR's are in the same price range as the Burris so for my money I'd get the Leupold. Unless you really want the 32x. More power or less mirage?

R-WEST....Yes the Burris would work out to about the same as My Nikon (6.5-20X44)...My Nikon has 1/8 inch click's...With the LR base and Burris ring's with the insert's...+.20 in the rear and a -.10 in the front.I am using 3 click's from the bottom for a 100 yard zero. And I have click's to 1300 yard's.I also have a Nikon 5.5-16.5x44.....I do own one Leupold...A 8.5-25 Long Range side focus that has 72 Moa.The Nikon's are 1 inch and the Loopy is 30mm...

R-West...

The Nachez page is wrong about the elevation... it only has 39" of elevation (at 100yds)
frown.gif

This means it you want to use it to shoot Long range (1000yds) you will need to be very careful as to your bases... you will need about 20 to 25 moa of taper in the base, or you won't get past 600 yds with most carts.

CatShooter.

The Leupold Vari-XIII's 8.5-25x50mm 30mm tubes are 1/4" adjustments.

Burris Black Diamond 8-32x50mm 30mm tube, 1/8" clicks, and maybe $100 cheaper than Leupold.

Both have lifetime Warranties, both are known to break. A few people have had problems with Burris's customer service while Leupold's have it down to perfection.
I think the adjustment MOA values in W&E are about the same given the test is at a similiar power, both set at 25x or so.

I am looking at the same Burris Black Diamond 8-32x50 but, if I can get something better for maybe a little bit more cash, yep, I am now looking at a Nightforce Benchrest 8-32x56mm. I only want to buy one good scope for a single rifle and I don't want to send it back because it breaks. *US optics are WAY out of my price range along with S&B*

R-West...
>"One other thing. Most scope mfrs suggest starting out with the windage/elevation adjustments as close to the center of their travel as
possible. Using the Nikon/Black Diamond, it looks like we'll try to start out with the elevation adjustment the whole way at the bottom.
Does that cause any problems with the reticle being off-center?">

NO... most manufacturers don't even address this issue any more, cuz ANY of the mid range or better scopes can be used with the elevation at one or the other extream. THe cross hairs don't move, because that's not how the system workie... the elevation/windage turrets move a lens group that is located in front of the crosshairs, so it's the IMAGE that moves, not the hair.

All of my 1" scopes are mounted in Burris Signature "ZEE" rings, with the proper inserts so that the 100 zero is just a few moa off the bottom of the elevation turrets range.

Even with my B&L 10x Tac (which has 145moa of elevation), it is mounted in an adjustable ring-set, so the 100 zero is 2 moa off the bottom... it's on a 50 BMG rifle, and has a scope range of 2,700 meters with all of that elevation...

But the biggest advantage is that you never have to wonder where you have to be in the middle of the turret for zero... just go to the lowest "0", and you are back to your reference point.

CatShooter

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.