What a difference ammo makes...

DoubleGobble00

I did a comparison of two different federal 308 ammo with the same gun. I'm shooting a Savage 308 model 10 with Mcmillan A3 and a thunder beast ultra 9. The first ammo is the Federal Soft Point 180 grains. The next ammo is Federal Gold Metal Match 168 grain Sierra matchkings... Both of these groups were at 100 yards. The 180 Soft points shot about 2" group and the 168 Sierra was about 3/4 to 1/2 inch group. Now I just need to find a hunting ammo that shoots this good.
IMG_6611.JPG

IMG_6613.JPG

IMG_6614.JPG

DoubleG

I know not everyone has the time, money, or resources to handload their own ammo, but that is truly the best route for precision and consistent accuracy from your gun. Having taylor-made ammo for your particular rifle will always beat something mass-manufactured out of a box.

You are right. I use to handload but due to limited time, I'm shooting factory for a while. I had these 180 soft points for sighting in guns then switch it better quality ammo. If you can't handload, the higher quality factory ammo really makes a difference but can't beat handholds except maybe some ABM ammo I have for a 300 win mag. The ABM has been pretty dang good.

If you're going to use factory ammo for hunting , I've had great success with the offerings from Nosler in several rifles.

If one decides to shoot factory ammo, I suggest trying all you can find
to try. The difference from one to the other even the same brand is alarming. This is how to look for an ammo that has the right bullet weight and design, the right primer and powder and the right velocity
to get the best harmonics for your barrel. It is just like working up an accuracy load. Factory ammo that uses custom bullets are a good start.

J E CUSTOM

Shoot the Fed GMM. The 168 SMK will kill anything if you out the bullet where it needs to go. I shoot a lot of SMKs for hunting in various rifles.

I've had good luck with Nosler also. So far, ABM with bergers and Nosler Accubond have been the best factory ammo besides the Federal Gold Metal Match which I can't hunt with. My buddy does well with Hornady Precison Hunter also. I've been wanting to try some HSM and Hornady Precison in my 300 RUM.... I'm really interested in Berger ammo when it finally releases.

I had similar results with my cz-550 tacticool but using handholds. 178 ELD-X bullets were awful and 165 SST were awesome. I decided to try 168 ELD-M. I believe the 1:12 twist is better suited for the lighter bullets.

I made the switch to Choice Ammunition about a year ago. its shoots well in all my rifles once I found the load each rifle liked. its 100% handloaded ammo at factory ammo pricing. in my 308 I have been shooting the 178 gr ELDX offering. if you call them up, they can build you a test pack of different offerings to see which one you like. they all are easy to get ahold of and welcome any feedback to their ammo.

Federal accubond shoots similar to the 168fgmm so does the 165 gameking load they sell. Neither would be considered a long range load , but more than adequate for inside of 400yds on deer sized game.
If your not opposed to 150gn bullets. The deer xp load from winchester is a very quick killer. It also shot very accurately through my 6.5creed.

Well... For the right price, Taylor might be willing to... Taylor might also have to check with his boss who has a class III manufacturing FFL, and does manufacture ammo, so, Taylor would have to see if his boss would let him make some on the weekend, but use his boss's FFL to ship it. ;)

"Taylor" has been known to make some hellacious .308 Win ammo... :D

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.