What 7MM would you recommend

NDKing
I've been shooting my current 6.5 10BA Stealth both for hunting and long range plinking. I've slapped steel out to 1,131. I enjoy both. I'll use the 7MM for the same regimen.
I second the 160 grain accubond and i found 4 boxes of Federal that I'm really hoping shoots well. I've got an elk hunt this year. Other than that, I start with Federal Fusion for just about every rifle I own. It's not ideal for that long range, but its cheap and accurate. I've shot it to 600 with my 270. Based on 7mm Rem Mag Fusion published specs, I think the 150 grain seems to make more sense than the 175, which was surprising. But yeah, check out that stability calculator. It was an interesting find.

I had good luck with the HSM 168 bergers. They shot great when I was breaking in my barrel and even killed a nice bull and a blacktail prior to dailing in my load a coulpe years ago.

I guess I have been doing it wrong the past 40 years by inky shooting 160gr.partions......I have never had need to try anything else.....or do I?

Last edited:
Hammer is bringing out some custom loads. Their bullets perform for reloaders. The 145-150 class monos should be great in a 9.5 twist. With their loaded ammo, I would expect superior quality. Call Steve at Hammer.

In a Tikka T3 7mm Rem mag, the old Hornady custom in 139gr. shot the most accurately of anything between 139 and 160 in this particular gun. Remington, Federal, Winchester and the Hornady being factory ammo shot. Hornady was right at an inch, others anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 1/4. This was years ago and I started with about 7 boxes out of curiosity as normally I would reload from the beginning.

Pick what projectile type you desire to shoot, and buy 1-2 different loads of those to test. IE: CUp and Core, Partition style, Bonded, Mono, etc...

I have a new Savage High Country 110 in 7MM Rem Mag. With the current shortage of ammo, I really do not want to buy 8 or 9 different experimental rounds if I could keep from it - specially in today's high prices and limited availability.
The rifle has a 24" barrel and a 1:9.5 twist. What manufacturer, style, type, grain weight would you recommend? Any of you know of a website or resource that shows a chart from plugging in barrel length and twist rate to recommend a grain weight projectile?
Thanks in advance. Great group - and I know someone out there has an idea of what might work.
My 7 is very similar to Your's . It shoots the hornady precision hunter in 162 grain very well !

I have a new Savage High Country 110 in 7MM Rem Mag. With the current shortage of ammo, I really do not want to buy 8 or 9 different experimental rounds if I could keep from it - specially in today's high prices and limited availability.
The rifle has a 24" barrel and a 1:9.5 twist. What manufacturer, style, type, grain weight would you recommend? Any of you know of a website or resource that shows a chart from plugging in barrel length and twist rate to recommend a grain weight projectile?
Thanks in advance. Great group - and I know someone out there has an idea of what might work.
I take it you don't reload? If that so, it makes it harder to figure out which combination will works the best. The other is all the items are very hard to come by presently. One think you can do is resize any belted mag in 264, 300, and 338 win. mags a 7mm Rem Mag or the other way around.

A friend of mine has the same rifle and it shoots the 162 Hornady ELD-X loads with fantastic results. Shoots 100 yards sub MOA. Bugholes

with the speed of the 7mag AND if you use 162 ELD-Ms be sure the animal is a good 275 yards plus away so the bullet will have slowed some and you'll be good out to 1000 yards. I've made some tremendous kills at distant with my 7/08 with the 162 (acts very much like a berger) but I am running a meager 2738 MV so it works well at close and long ranges BUT the magnums need a bit of distance so the bullet is not challenged.

best of luck choosing a bullet and for what it's worth "it's all about the bullet!"

If you can find it get the Federal Premium with the 168gr Berger Hybrid Hunter, shoots great in my 7mm Rem Mag and it does a great job on deer.

The other offering from Federal Premium that my rifle loved is with the 140gr Trophy Bonded Tip.

Both of these loads shoot sub half MOA.

Stay safe

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts