What 7mm round

rb85cj7

Looking for a round to push the 180 Bergers at or above 3200 without going to a 338 parent case. Would need to go in a Remington 700 long action. I would really prefer it not to be a belted case also.

7mm STW is belted, and it can get you there.

7mm RUM is non-belted and it can get you there, too.

However, the RUM is known for burning throats out in the barrels a little quicker than the STW's are. The RUM's can get around 1,000-1,500 shots of barrel life, the STW will get 1,500-2,000 or so.

I'm a big fan of the STW. Had mine for 11 years now, and it still impresses me to this day. Layne Simpson was a genious for designing that round.

I would look at a 7-300 Norma mag or the 7 RUM to get your target speed, I don't think the 7 Dakota or 7 LRM can quite reach that velocity.

i'm just curious why you feel that you have to go that fast with that bullet? i'm waiting on my new 7x300win to get back from the smith and it should launch the 180s at 3100 with ease. doing the ballistics on that bullet at 3100 says it is still super sonic at 1900y at my 500ft elevation and 2250y at 7500ft elevation where I hunt. so i'm just curious what it is your wanting out of that bullet that says it needs to leave the muzzle at 3200?

another vote for the STW tho if you do want to push it that hard

7 RUM is about the only one that will do it, why don't you want a 338 case? Try searching for 284 Jazz or 284 Thor on here. Both will do 3200 with a 180 berger but use the 338 or 300 Norma case.

defintly check on a .284 jazz or there are other names for it it is a 338 norma necked down to .284 with the short case and the long bullet it fits in to a la great at 3.85 . it shoud hit the 3200 mark wti 89 grains of h1000 as with my 7mrum can only do this with 95 snd also has freebore to jumpand burn. im currently having a 7-300norma reamer built from ptg at 1-30-00

I would look at a 7-300 Norma mag or the 7 RUM to get your target speed, I don't think the 7 Dakota or 7 LRM can quite reach that velocity.

I was hitting 3200 easily with my dakota.

180 VLD's
Broughton 8 twist 32" barrel

It was my experience the accuracy with the VLD's went to sh!t 3200+. Shoot for 3175 or less.

Those old posts were from before I knew what I was talking about. We didn't have a chrono and were just going off the ballistics calculator. There were a number of assumed variables. Now with more knowledge ad understanding I am revisiting the rifle.

I am thinking about going back to 7STW for the simplicity of it over some of the more crazy wildcats. The problem with the old one was that it was too light and needs a brake. Recoil was crazy strong for the setup and not very enjoyable.

The reason for the velocity demand is to gain any and all advantages you can. Having said that I just pulled an arbitrary number that I knew was super high so only the big over bores would show up in this thread. I have looked at the the typical stuff and wanted to see if there were some I was missing.

How does the 284 Jazz work in a standard long action. I would for sure have to swap bolt faces but that can be done.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.