What 6.5 with magnum bolt face

I'm looking at the 338rcm necked down to 7mm but it may go to 6.5mm like the Rem 6.5mag. Regardless it will not be easy on a 6.5 bore.

If I am unable to find a standard bolt for my gun, which 6.5 round would be best for barrel longevity, brass life, accuracy, lighter recoil etc? Will be a target gun, #17 contour, 28".

Thanks.

What action and bolt face do you currently have ?

Need More Info.

J E CUSTOM

It's a long action Model 70 post 64 push feed action with a 0.532" bolt face. I had hope of finding a 0.473 bolt for it for a milder cartidge but they are rare as hen's teeth.

I picked up a 6.5 barrel and I am trying to decide what to go with.

Thanks.

6.5x25WSSM I believe will give you the best barrel life while retaining the magnum bolt face. Properly built there are many reports of them being very accurate. In a target rifle not being able to feed from a magazine shouldn't be a problem.

James

+1 for the 6.5 WSSM. If shooting fast is a concern (which is will be if you compete), check and make sure that your gun will eject the empties. I have a BAT mod M 8.5" that will not eject the empties. Very accurate. Mild recoil. Shoots GREAT....140 Bergers at about 2930 with a 30" 1-8 twist Spencer BBL........right up there with the 6.5-284..will shoot a little faster, but this was the accuracy node. H4831/fed 210's or Wolf primers. I have not competed with it yet....it has always been windy at the matches I have been to.....I want to shoot as quick a possable and with my BAT I must pick the empties out of the gun with my fingers.......but the first nice mach day I will throw on the 6.5 tube. It is going to take up coyote population control duties this winter!!!:D

Brass life is good.

Good luck and have fun!!!

Last edited:
+2 on the 6.5 wssm. I've got 2 one on a push feed action and one on a controlled feed action, both Savages. The controlled feed ejects just fine the push feed will not eject at all, just drops the empty on the follower. That little case is just a tad to short for the extractor claw to hang on to long enough to clear the ejection port, misses by less than 1/4 inch.

Both are plenty accurate and brass life hasn't been a problem at all. Can't help with barrel life yet, just not enough rounds fired yet.

Chris

+2 on the 6.5 wssm. I've got 2 one on a push feed action and one on a controlled feed action, both Savages. The controlled feed ejects just fine the push feed will not eject at all, just drops the empty on the follower. That little case is just a tad to short for the extractor claw to hang on to long enough to clear the ejection port, misses by less than 1/4 inch.

Both are plenty accurate and brass life hasn't been a problem at all. Can't help with barrel life yet, just not enough rounds fired yet.

Chris
I asume both of your Savages are long action. My guess is that any short action will eject the 6.5 wssm.

Again....Just a guess.

Actually, both are short actions. The controlled feed started life as a 300wsm, pretty easy to see why it works with the 6.5 wssm. The push feed was a Striker in 22-250, it got a complete makeover, rear grip stock, rifle basix trigger, and a 17" pac nor 6.5 wssm barrel. Shoots great just won't eject.

Chris

If I am unable to find a standard bolt for my gun, which 6.5 round would be best for barrel longevity, brass life, accuracy, lighter recoil etc? Will be a target gun, #17 contour, 28".

Thanks.

I think your not going to have any trouble finding a "standard" bolt face at all and if thats the case

I would have to recommend a 6.5x284

Excellent bullet choices

High BC's

High Sectional Density

Excellent Brass (Lapua)

Low recoil
And No fire forming to make a "AI" version

I think your not going to have any trouble finding a "standard" bolt face at all and if thats the case

Excellent bullet choices

High BC's

High Sectional Density

Excellent Brass (Lapua)

Low recoil

How can you have an "AI" case and not have to FF your brass??? The only way to have an improved case is to FF your brass in some way. Unless you can buy the brass pre-formed like Kirby sells.

How can you have an "AI" case and not have to FF your brass??? The only way to have an improved case is to FF your brass in some way. Unless you can buy the brass pre-formed like Kirby sells.

That's exactly what I mean ... if you re-read what I said you do not have to fire form a 6.5x284 like you would have to to with most any "AI" type of case
which as you know takes up barrel life,time,money, and so on...

That's exactly what I mean ... if you re-read what I said you do not have to fire form a 6.5x284 like you would have to to with most any "AI" type of case
which as you know takes up barrel life,time,money, and so on...

OOPS....My bad. I did read it wrong.

Also, the 6.5WSSM is not an "improved" case......just neck up the 25WSSM....no other changes. I know about the Improved and wildcat thing....as we speak I am loading up some SP-38 (27 g) into my 6br cases with a wad of tissue and forming shiny new Dasher brass. I carefully measured 10 of these along with 10 using bullets and stout loads of RL15. In every way the difference is less that .001".

Like I said, if you are stuck with a mag boltface and want a 6.5 that won't quickly burn up a tube, try the WSSM case. If you can get a standard bolt face i would go with either the 6.5-47L, the 260, or the 6.5-284.

Good luck

Excellent bullet choices

High BC's

High Sectional Density

Excellent Brass (Lapua)

Low recoil

I am having all sorts of trouble finding a new bolt for this gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.