What 55 grainer for Savage 22-250?

CB11WYO

So I'm reloading for a buddy and we've settled on using 55 grain bullets.

I've read in other posts lots of good things about the Sierra Game King (#1365), and as I was looking around on their website I found a Sierra Blitz King (#1455) which has an even higher BC. Anyone have experience with this or other good 55 grain bullets?
He'll be shooting prairie dogs and coyotes.
Any info much appreciated.

Nosler ballistic tip or Hornady Vmax will fill the bill very well. The Sierra Game King is a pretty tough bullet that is made for bigger stuff than a Pdog. The Sierra Blitz King may have trouble staying together on it's way to target if you push it hard. The older Sierra blitz bullets were not even recommended for use in the 22-250. I used to shoot them in a 223 and they would really mess up a groundhog. I have a buddy that shoots the 55 ballistic tip with Varget in his 22-250 and it is really accurate.

Nosler ballistic tip or Hornady Vmax will fill the bill very well. The Sierra Game King is a pretty tough bullet that is made for bigger stuff than a Pdog. The Sierra Blitz King may have trouble staying together on it's way to target if you push it hard. The older Sierra blitz bullets were not even recommended for use in the 22-250. I used to shoot them in a 223 and they would really mess up a groundhog. I have a buddy that shoots the 55 ballistic tip with Varget in his 22-250 and it is really accurate.

Same thing I shoot in my 22-250 VLS. 55gr Vmax and Varget powder and Im MORE than satisfied with its accuracy

Nosler ballistic tip or Hornady Vmax will fill the bill very well. The Sierra Game King is a pretty tough bullet that is made for bigger stuff than a Pdog. The Sierra Blitz King may have trouble staying together on it's way to target if you push it hard...

Very good to know, thanks RT2506!

The Sierra Blitz King may have trouble staying together on it's way to target if you push it hard. The older Sierra blitz bullets were not even recommended for use in the 22-250. ..

I think there may be a misunderstanding here, the Blitz King & Blitz are different bullet lines. The Blitz is a soft point thin jacketed bullet (I loved them in a 243AI). The Blitz King is a Balllistic Tip just like the Varmageddons or V-Max. I have pushed the .22 cal 40grn Blitz King to over 4600fps in a 22-243. I seriously doubt you see any issues with the 55grain in a 22-250.

t

I think there may be a misunderstanding here, the Blitz King & Blitz are different bullet lines. The Blitz is a soft point thin jacketed bullet (I loved them in a 243AI). The Blitz King is a Balllistic Tip just like the Varmageddons or V-Max. I have pushed the .22 cal 40grn Blitz King to over 4600fps in a 22-243. I seriously doubt you see any issues with the 55grain in a 22-250.
t

Thanks Outlaw6.0, did you also like the performance on small animals?

I also shoot the 55 gr noslers with 33.5 gr of varget. Im running them at 3600 fps. Not screaming fast but extremely accurate and predictable out to 500 yds. I used to shoot the 60 gr berger varmiters which were great, but I get a little more performance from the 55 gr weight class.

The V-Max is a great bullet, I probably shoot that in more rifles than I do in any other bullet. They always shoot well & have never failed to do what they were designed to do. (& they're cheap to boot :D)

t

I use 50 gr v-max with 36.3 gr varget awesome grouping

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 104
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.