What 45-70 bullet for baited bears

valleysnyper

Just bought a 45-70 for an upcoming black bear hunt. Wondering what bullet would give good damage with a double lung shot. Any advice on weight also? I'm told shots will be about 30ft or so

I've shot quite a few black bears with the 45-70. Virtually any bullet will work fine at short distances. My personal favorite is the Speer 400 JSP @ 1,700fps. The Speer 400 is relatively soft and easily expands on bears. They will all pass through on a broadside shot.

I caught one in a large hog (+300lb). It expanded to 90 cal but remained intact.

Swift 350gr A-Frame.

I've shot quite a few black bears with the 45-70. Virtually any bullet will work fine at short distances. My personal favorite is the Speer 400 JSP @ 1,700fps. The Speer 400 is relatively soft and easily expands on bears. They will all pass through on a broadside shot.

I caught one in a large hog (+300lb). It expanded to 90 cal but remained intact.
Looks like out of stock everywhere, I'll have to keep an eye out

Looks like out of stock everywhere, I'll have to keep an eye out

In the absence of the Speer 400gr bullets, a good alternative would be the Hornady 350gr RN or FP. They both shoot well and have reliable terminal performance. They are similar to the tough Swift 350 A-Frame, but at a fraction of the cost. There's nothing wrong with the Swifts but they are expensive. The Hornadys would allow for much more practice.

I have used both 350 gr Hornady round nose and 350 or 300 gr Flat Point (can't remember exactly on the flat points) and the bears didn't seem to notice the difference.All fell within 20 feet of shot.
These will be my next bear bullet:
They make a bigger bullet but I have not found that bears are all that hard to kill.

Thanks for the help everyone, any feelings about a flat nosed bullet vs a round nose ?
Right before it got cold my brand new Accurate Mold in 405 gr wide meplat came in but it's way too cold to cast in our garage.
More snow coming so it will be awhile before I get anything cast.
But I have had great success with wide flat nose lead bullets.

Waiting on warm here also. I need to cast a bunch of 400's for my 460 S&W, and some 430's for my 45-70. Also using an Accurate Mold…..pretty darn happy with those molds! memtb