What 34 mm rings would you folks suggest that won't require a bank loan, but are still reliable.

If either of the rings have to go above the ejection port, a square edge like on the Nightforce rings can interfere with your thumb. Seekins/Vortex are tapered and won't cause any issue. And they hold nicely.

Seems as many opinions as there are rings. If you have a quality scope with a 34mm tube, your sarcasm is lost. You've already donated a kidney, now just cut off an ear.
Or, if you're putting a kid through college, make them pay for the books for *one* of their classes.
Sphur here on a 338 Edge.

Recently got some MDT 34mm rings, very nice for the price. Also have Hawkins on a rifle, and they are superb.

I bought a pair of wheeler's new rings in 34mm. Poor contact surfaces but after lapping were acceptable. Expect to buy a lapping bar and spend more time than average to get them to a useable form.

Perhaps a relevant follow up question (like many good questions) is what are you using it for? Is weight an issue? What kind of height (or lack thereof do you need)? Also, how heavy is the scope? If you're talking about mounting something like a 2lb vortex razor on a 5.5lb 30-06, you'll need some serious rings. Otherwise, you may not need that kind of overkill.

I've also had very good luck with Seekins/Vortex PMR, and the lack of a protruding cross bolt is also very smooth. Tactical Precision Systems (TPS) are also nice, especially if you're looking to mount low. Leupold Mark 4's are always great, and then there's nightforce, but I'm still not sure they're worth it. I have yet to reach up to Spuhr-level rings, so I can't speak to that.

Watch the classified here. I've gotten some good deals on seconds (as long as they haven't been lapped) and I usually haven't had to wait too long.

I'm going to interpret not taking out a bank loan as anything under $200. For direct mounts go with the Hawkins Long Range Hybrid as others have mentioned. I prefer them over Talley's and they offer the bubble level and built in MOA. If you are going to go with a base, then American Rifle Company M10's. I used to be a Seekins guy but they don't hold a candle to the ARC's.

TPS as mentioned above are interesting but the ones I had long ago were steel and ended up scratching the tube on my scope really bad. I know they have a system to keep the tube from rotating when you tighten them down but I could never get it to work. I only go aluminum on optics mounts just so its gentler on the scope and less likely to rust against the action where you can't see it.

The Hawkins Light are really beautiful, gorgeous rings...and are probably worth what ya pay for them; but the Warne look to be well-designed and sturdy enough. It is a Burris XTR II 4-20X50 (pretty big scope) but the rifle isn't lightweight and only a 30-06. I probably won't mount this scope until after deer season is over this Fall, so I have plenty of time to arrive at the poor man's solution. Bigger cartridge, I would definately go with the Hawkins.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts