What .308 Win ammo to purchase for Shooting School

pescado

Hi guys, greetings from New Zealand. I am travelling to Texas to attend a 3 day school. I am able to borrow a .308 Win to use I just have to supply my own ammo about 450 rounds. So the question is not having shot any 308, my rifles at home are a 6.5x47, 7mm Mag and 338 Lapua what should I buy? We will probably shoot out to around a mile. I don't need the most amazing ammo out there I am not the most amazing shooter.

I will probably purchase on line and have them ship it to the school way ahead of time to make sure there is no last minute dramas. Or is it likely there is a retailer in the Amarillo area that would hold that quantity in stock, at a good price. Can a non resident even purchase ammo?

Your help would be appreciated.

Hi guys, greetings from New Zealand. I am travelling to Texas to attend a 3 day school. I am able to borrow a .308 Win to use I just have to supply my own ammo about 450 rounds. So the question is not having shot any 308, my rifles at home are a 6.5x47, 7mm Mag and 338 Lapua what should I buy? We will probably shoot out to around a mile. I don't need the most amazing ammo out there I am not the most amazing shooter.

I will probably purchase on line and have them ship it to the school way ahead of time to make sure there is no last minute dramas. Or is it likely there is a retailer in the Amarillo area that would hold that quantity in stock, at a good price. Can a non resident even purchase ammo?

I would check with the owner of the rifle. They may already know what ammo the rifle likes and be able to purchase it for you if you send them the funds ahead of time. Ammo with rifle ready to go upon your arrival.

I would check with the owner of the rifle. They may already know what ammo the rifle likes and be able to purchase it for you if you send them the funds ahead of time. Ammo with rifle ready to go upon your arrival.
^^^this. Also, the owner may be able to custom load some ammo if you pay for the components up front with enough time. The last school I attended most people rolled their own, but there were sever law enforcement members in the school as well and they all got theirs through Black Hills.

Like was mentioned, if the owner of the rifle doesn't already have a load for it, or one that he knows shoots well... Then this is the ammo I would shoot. It's also on sale right now at Midway. And when done, you'll have about 500 high-quality Nosler brass to reload. So there's a big plus. And if you don't want the brass, save them, box them up, and send them to me, and I'll reimburse you for shipping. :D

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...75-grain-rdf-hollow-point-boat-tail-box-of-20

Can a non resident even purchase ammo?

If you're over 18, not wearing a turban and a man-dress, and don't speak or look like a "durka-durka", you should be fine.

But, since you're wanting to purchasing long beforehand, most likely, if you're not able to purchase, you could possibly have the shooting school purchase it and have it shipped to them, then reimburse them when you arrive.

Buying and having something shipped somewhere else is not normally a big deal. But I've never done that with ammo. I've only had it sent to my own address. When my brother was deployed the last time, he was buying fishing gear while he was in Kuwait and having it sent to my house (so his wife wouldn't know :D) and when he got back, he came by and picked it all up.

Last edited:
Buy Federal Gold Metal Match with the 175 grain SMK bullet. If you shoot an X it comes up an X; if you shoot a 7 it a 7. You will not have any doubt about the quality of the bullets. IMHO past about 800 yards with Black Hills has been lacking.

Good luck

Jerry

If you're going to shoot a 308 past a mile, you're going to need a scope with a lot of 'up.'

Agree with previous posts, that your best route is to ask the owner of the rifle about the best options.

Thanks guys for the info there is some good stuff there. I get to use the rifle free of charge however I have to supply ammo they won't do that. I will look at the suggested brands.

Check out the Black Hills gold ammo or the Berger ammo which used to be ABM. go with a 175 grain or heavier bullet. Black hills had the ELD -X bullet and Berger is running several different Berger bullets.

Federal gold medal match 175 ser. and hornady 178hpbt match shot same point of impact and same velocity 2704-2727 in my rifle. Very very good accuracy out to 700(furthest I have shot this rifle to date) I was able to hit the 4"disk at 650 8-10 times between the 2 magazines each mixed. It was about 7mph and 1/2 value Both misses were close and I'm not sure if the wind was the factor or just beyond my capability with that ammo.
The 168 berger hunting vld shoots better at 2750 but that is a handload using varget 42.6grns LC 118lr brass and 210m's @ 2.820 It holds 1/2moa to 500yds consistently.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts