What .308 rifle for $1600?

Epee

What .308 rifle gives you the most bang for the buck in terms of accuracy and features in the $1600 range. Just a list is fine so I can research the brands. This does not include the scope. It does include the stock. Adjustable is not necessary but a synthetic with rail for sling attachments would be nice.

Thanks for the help and your time to post.

Savage arms.com
Go to their gun finder option and search by caliber- 308 win.

Every Savage I've ever purchased was about 80% of their listed MSRP. Use the rest towards glass.

Last edited:
What .308 rifle gives you the most bang for the buck in terms of accuracy and features in the $1600 range. Just a list is fine so I can research the brands. This does not include the scope. It does include the stock. Adjustable is not necessary but a synthetic with rail for sling attachments would be nice.

Thanks for the help and your time to post.
For $1,600 you could build a nice semi-custom rifle for that. Pickup a Remington 700 SPS in .30-06 (you will want the long action for seating long high-BC heavy bullets, and still using the magazine as a repeater). Then order a Bartlein 5R Rem Varmint/Sendero contour barrel 1:10 twist. Manners stock, and a PTG .250" recoil lug. Then take it to your smith. Have him blueprint and fit everything up, and you will have a hell of a shooter for your $1,600 price range.

If you are wanting to avoid the custom route, the Remington 700 5R Milspec 24" .308 Win is a well-known shooter. I've had one since 2009, and it will shoot 1/4 MOA consistantly with handloads.

You really should research the reviews on the Remington 5R. Mine is about 10 years old and it will shoot a ragged hole with 5 shots at 100 yards. Stock gun except a replacement trigger (Timney).

Keep your eyes open on the used market. I just picked up this tube gun in 308 on a local precision rifle facebook page for $1500 dollars. Elessio chassis with jewel bottom safety trigger, rem 700 LTR barreled action. Pretty decent shooter, still doing some load developement but showing some promise.

Thanks guys you gave me a starting point. I was having information overload and you helped.

Check out the DPMS GII hunter in 308.
I just bought one because my son bought one last year and I fell in love with it.
It is easy to shoot, doesn't bust up your shoulder and is very accurate with our handloads.

Thanks mtwarych, but I live in Kommiefornia, and I hate the bullet button thingy.

Just picked up my 700 ltr and dang will this thing shoot. Picked up a jewell trigger to use on the rifle and once trying the factory one, will use it on something else. Only factory rifle that I did not have to do anything to the trigger. Barrel break in was easy and takes no time at all to clean, and 175 smks that I had loaded up already for another rifle was a ragged hole at 100 yards. Looking forward to going for longer range tomorrow.

I like the Reminton Milpec 700. I have owned three over the last dozen years or so, all of them .25-.5MOA out of the box with no fuss. The M24 type barrel is one of the best kept secrets oit there. Cleans fast, and holds it's accuracy for +200 rounds without cleaning. For $1600 you will have money left over to upgrade your trigger to a Jewel or Timney and still have enough for a good bipod.IMO

Looks like a Remington action is the best route to go. I will concentrate my funds and effort in that direction. Thanks everyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.