What .308 bullets work for you?

Oh sweet! I got 8lbs of the 2nd hottest one on the list! I get to try the next barrel contour soooner than later! 🤣
You can use N540 for hunting if your round count won't be much. Shouldn't cause barrel problems. But if you intend on lots of target rounds downrange, hhhmmmm........ The 500 series was developed to squeeze a few more fps out of each type. In that regard they achieved their goal.

You can use N540 for hunting if your round count won't be much. Shouldn't cause barrel problems. But if you intend on lots of target rounds downrange, hhhmmmm........ The 500 series was developed to squeeze a few more fps out of each type. In that regard they achieved their goal.
But VV said the 500 powders wouldn't increase barrel wear…🤣

Pretty much, yes. They (500 series) are all toward the end of the hot side. This list is a bit dated, but still works. As always, do your homework prior to making a decision. View attachment 449250
Slightly off topic but, I see that Accurate 4064, which is what I have on hand, is way cooler burning than IMR 4064 which are very close on the burn speed chart. Hmm...

But VV said the 500 powders wouldn't increase barrel wear…🤣
What would you expect them to say? Individual results must be your guiding decision. As always, do your homework on any choice. What works for one may not work for others. One person posted barrel burn out on 2 barrels. You may or may not have that problem.

What would you expect them to say? Individual results must be your guiding decision. As always, do your homework on any choice. What works for one may not work for others. One person posted barrel burn out on 2 barrels. You may or may not have that problem.
Sir, you keep telling me to "do my homework" but I must avail you to my hard & proven method of "Fool Around And Find Out!"

BTW. If you shoot enough, barrels are consumables! 🤣🤣🤣

SMK 190 grain
For my AR 10 (Savage MSR10 Hunter with 16" barrel 1 in 10" twist) 43.8 grain of VV N550 CCI BR-2 and Norma brass gives around 2400 fps and regularly 5 shots in less than MOA.
For my old Tikka T3 Tactical with 24" barrel 1 in 11" twist, 45.8 grain of VV N550 CCI BR-2 and Norma brass gives around 2570 fps and groups around .5 MOA. Shoots fine up to 1100 yards
What COAL and how far off the lands are you with 190s in the AR platform?

Barrel life on a 308win has never been even a passing concern for me. It is one of the most versatile cartridges for being able to shoot well with a broad list of powders. I'm a huge 7mm fan, but I will always have a 308win in the safe.